The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband's 3 gallon is in pretty lousy shape, there is a hairnet full of mixed mosses near the surface (some is growing out of the water) But its pretty much covered in hair algae. I tried excel for nearly a month at x3 dosing, didn't slow it down a bit. I stopped dosing ammonia (fish-less tank was trying to keep BB alive..) to reduce nitrates present but it hasn't slowed down. I'd also tried peroxide treatments in the past but I'm assume since it was close to the surface and did not spread through the tank.. it killed moss directly under treated areas. I'm worried about trying to nuke the algae (but not the moss) again with peroxide or bleach...
So I was wondering if I took the moss out and set up an emmersed growing bin of some sort if the hair algae would die off/not be able to convert to survive above water like the moss?
Has anyone tried anything like this? The reason I was curious is I'd seen some threads recently about emmersed grown aquatic plants and someone saying its great because they don't get algae in that state.. but would it kill pre-exsisting algae?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 4 gallon with a ton of java moss that I was pulling hair algae out of daily. Three amano shrimp and a week later, no algae. Ta Da!
Unfortunately amano shrimp aren't an option for the tank this moss is in (no longer cycled), I also cannot get those shrimp at my lfs and its still too cold to trust shipping any here yet. But thank you for the info, if I've not done something with it by mid spring I might try buying some shrimp and putting it in a newly cycled tank to be cleaned.
Incidentally.. do you know if shrimp will eat marimo ball since its a form of hair algae? I've been curious about this, I'd love to use shrimp (or other algae removal method) to clean the unwanted algae from marmimo but not kill/loose/consume the marimo itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
I'm trying this right now as well. I'm not entirely sure it's working because the moss is in a sealed tupperware container to keep the humidity high. The humidity is so high that I think it still believes it's underwater. Secondly, the hair algae is way harder to spot out of water so I don't actually know if it's still there.

I haven't been doing this long enough to really give a good answer. The moss is still alive, looks great, I do let it breath every day.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top