The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some Dwarf Hair Grass (ELEOCHARIS ACICULARIS) that was grown with roots immersed and foliage emmersed. Last time I tried to grow this it didn't go well. It just turned into a melty grey mess and died. I came up with the idea of planting them in a gallon jar (in Stratum) with roots and 1/2 to 2/3 of the grass immersed. My logic is the emersed portion would provide for the immersed to better be able to push out the new under water leaves.
WDYT? Tips, tricks and advice greatly apreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm not sure if your plan will work out or not. If the plant has access to air, I think it may keep pushing out emersed-type leaves so it can take advantage of atmospheric co2 levels. If you have a strong root system established, I would flood the tank and then trim the hairgrass way back. This will ditch plant mass that would be susceptible to melt and encourage new leaves that will be adapted to submerged conditions. You'll need to have the other aspects of your tank in order though - hairgrass is doable in a low tech tank, but not the easiest.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do a dry start. maintain high humidity in the tank. the grass will take about 4 weeks to grow well. IF you have Pressurized CO2, then set it at 1BPS during the dry start phase this will increase the available CO2 and make the DHG grow faster. You can keep the lighting period of 12 hours. Using the diffuser out of water will not create a problem. When you fill the water in the tank, for the first two weeks use 3 to 4 bps CO2. Then you can gradually reduce the amount of CO2. This is the method I used successfully with DHG. It was Tissue cultured DHG.

Right now I am following the same routine with Glosso. The below picture is after 10 days. I think i will be able to fill the tank with water by the 12th of this month.

Also attaching a picture of the hair grass I grew with this method

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do a dry start. maintain high humidity in the tank. the grass will take about 4 weeks to grow well. IF you have Pressurized CO2, then set it at 1BPS during the dry start phase this will increase the available CO2 and make the DHG grow faster. You can keep the lighting period of 12 hours. Using the diffuser out of water will not create a problem. When you fill the water in the tank, for the first two weeks use 3 to 4 bps CO2. Then you can gradually reduce the amount of CO2. This is the method I used successfully with DHG. It was Tissue cultured DHG.

Right now I am following the same routine with Glosso. The below picture is after 10 days. I think i will be able to fill the tank with water by the 12th of this month.

Also attaching a picture of the hair grass I grew with this method
Tank is up and cycled since 2015. Doing a re-scape, so dry start is not an option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.