The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a custom size tank from an LFS. It's 36" x 20" x 20" about 60 gallons. I asked the guy i bought it from if it would compromise the integrity of the tank if i removed the rim. He said no. There is a cross-brace of the same thickness but he tells me it is not there for structural reasons, only if someone was to use the hinged glass top. This tank is CLEAN, i mean no gooey silicone shadow on the inside corners like a standard tank. Imo it would look even better if it was rimless. So does anyone have any experience taking the rim off a tank this size? Thoughts, tips, caveats..? tia

-rey-

PS: If i measured correctly the glass is 3/8"

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is a large tank to take the rim off, and I would say that piece in the middle is definitely there for a reason, I dont know that I would go rimless on that and be confident that the standard joints would be enough.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I´m no expert here but i did lots of research on this matter in order to make a rimless.
in that glass thickness most likely you will have your own personal tsunami at home if you make it a true rimless without the brace on the middle. 2C

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why not just buy a rimless tank? It will safe you alot of worry and maybe a large clean up. Not worth the headache.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I say it's too big. If you must try it then try to contact the manufacturer to confirm your vendors claim. Then do extensive leak/stress testing someplace where you don't mind the floor getting wet and strewn with shards of glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts