The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
One liter of water masses one kilogram. You have to take into consideration the mass of the tank and substrate as well though, so there's really no clear conversion.

Here is a chart with filled weights for common sizes in the US. Dunno how well that will translate into UK sizes though.

ETA: From the site you linked, I'd bet that most tanks that you could fit on the shelves (36"x15") would be fine, excepting a very tall tank, especially considering the fact that you will lose a few inches on both dimensions just to be able to get it onto the shelf in the first place.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just weighed 1 litre of water on our scales and indeed one litre is 1 kilogram as you said :)
So that would mean that 150kgs is 150 litres.
The tanks I'm thinking of using are 30 litre cubes so even with substrate etc, they wouldnt exceed more than 50 litres each meaning in theory I could have two on each shelf. Obviously that's a guesstimate but I'm thinking that two tanks will never be heavier than 150kgs.

Thankyou for making things a little clearer ;)
Anyone using similar shelving for their tanks?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The problem with a shelving unit of that type is that it is extremely strong against vertical forces, but pushes from the side, especially when it's under a heavy load, can cause the entire unit to collapse because there is virtually no reinforcement against that type of force (it's called racking.)

The reinforcement is easy though, you'd just buy a longish strip of steel (or a perforated strip of steel, don't know what's available to you) and mount it diagonally across the back of the shelves by drilling holes in the appropriate places and bolting it onto the frame via the holes in the legs. It wouldn't hurt to do the same on the sides as well, but the back is the real concern, as the larger rectangle shapes are far easier to distort into parallelograms. The point is to convert those rectangular shapes into triangles that can't be distorted without tearing the shelving material apart. Multiple strips in multiple directions (a giant X, for instance, or a sideways V shape) would be even sturdier, but isn't necessary.

I've seen people using that type of shelving for tanks before (or pictures of it, anyway.) I've built my own from lumber, and for 3 smaller tanks of the size you're wanting, I use a very sturdy bookshelf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.