The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting my 125gal from saltwater to planted tank. I was feeling realy excited about getting the conversion done this past weekend, but I found the coraline algea to be a huge cleaning obstacle. I tried vinegar then phosphoric acid and nothing softened the coraline aglae. So I was scraping each piece off with a scraper, and then a little was still left that wouldn't scrape off (like a film). I spent hours and got maybe 1/10 of it off. But I was able to soak the powerheads in vinegar and get them clean very quickly.

I certainly can't tip this huge tank on it's side to let the coraline soak in vinegar, so what are my options?

·
Registered
563 Posts
if you can get your hands on some muriatic or hydrochloric that might do the trick, but you're still gonna have to scrape. And there may be some etching of the glass that never comes clean. But, why cant you tip it on its side??? Its not that HUGE of a tank, its certainly movable! haha

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Depending on what type of aquarium you want, you could just leave it there. It will harden the water somewhat but over time, the algae will dissolve into the water and be gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember when we first got the huge thing that it took three guys to get it into my house. And then I am worried about leaving it sit on it's side on the stand because of the edges of the stand, the load bearing would be uneven around the glass. And if I put it on the floor, that is back breaking to lift that thing to and from the ground.

Has anyone just left the coraline algea in the tank and seen what results they got with water parameters? How long would it take to dissolve? Forever? Could it also spike the ammonia?

I might try the mieratic acid.....

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Scraping with a blade is ok but I wouldn't do too much rubbing where the undissolved coralline might scratch the glass.

SteveU

·
Registered
563 Posts
Are you sure this is a 125? Or were you having 3 really weak guys help you??? lol Ive worked with and handled and moved MANY large tanks. I have moved 210's with just 2 people, and several 125's. Its heavy sure, but its not THAT heavy. Im not trying to call you out or anything like that, im just wondering if maybe the tank is bigger than you think, or not actually as heavy as you think it is? 2 people who are in mediocre shape at best should be able to pick that up and put it on the floor fairly easily. And i think thats the only way any kind of acid has a chance of working. There wont be anything that you can just apply and have that coraline algae wipe right off. Your only chance is keeping it wet with whatever you end up using. And then still scraping. But your angle of attack and leverage will be MUCH better when you can stand over the top of it.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I'd want to have it outside where I could give it a good bath afterwards, especially if I used acids.

SteveU

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
you could allways saturate a paper towel of toilet paper with the acid so you dont have to tilt the tank. just stick the TP right up on the glass:smile:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Visionquest28,

I am wondering if you are a well muscled, good looking guy. Can I see a picture? And yes, I do feel that you are questioning the strength of the men in my life, or maybe the ambition.... I never lifted the tank, so I have no idea how heavy it is. Should I ask again if the tank can be brought all the way outside!? Or will the tank then become an obstacle in my love life......

I will ask...

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
well its CaCO3 deposits, so any acid will do the trick, the lower the ph, the faster it will work. if you can get you hands on some strong acids (sulfuric, hydrochloric, etc.) you could use a spray bottle to soak the sides, and then do that every few hours. after a few days it should be visibly less. but if you could put it on its side and cover it with a thin layer, then that would be ideal.

but if you plan on doing a high tech tank with CO2, then your ph should be bellow 7, and that will dissolve it over a few monthes (like in a reefs calcium reactor).

or try a really sharp razor blade.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Visionquest28,

I am wondering if you are a well muscled, good looking guy. Can I see a picture? And yes, I do feel that you are questioning the strength of the men in my life, or maybe the ambition.... I never lifted the tank, so I have no idea how heavy it is. Should I ask again if the tank can be brought all the way outside!? Or will the tank then become an obstacle in my love life......

I will ask...
LOL, im not sure how much of that is a joke and how much is serious??? But, i may or may not fit into those catergories, not for me to decide, but really thats not the point...frankenstein and quasimodo could carry the tank. lol But since you said it first...if the men tell you they cant carry its too much work...yes they are either lazy and full of it or wimps! :hihi:

Unless we're talking 3 flights of stairs and weird crazy angles, i agree with what the others said...getting it outside will make this way easier and better to deal with...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently bought a 155 that was saltwater and had coraline algae all over the front. What i did was fill it up and put 5 gallons of vinegar and let it run for a few days. Almost all of it came off in that process. there is still a see through film/remnants left but i dont think there is a way to get it all the way off. Scraping just seemed to scratch the glass. Just an idea.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have moved 210's with just 2 people, and several 125's.
:eek: arcylic? i moved my glass 210-and 180 took 6 of us ( iam the only dude that short and skinny) 6 stair step and 3 turn . i cant picture only 2 guys and trying to moved a 210G , its 24" wide and 6' long , one wrong move or one guy just gave up the tank will flip and BAM< bye bye tank LMFAO

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Two guys moved my 175 and I wasn't one of them. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
563 Posts
:eek: arcylic? i moved my glass 210-and 180 took 6 of us ( iam the only dude that short and skinny) 6 stair step and 3 turn . i cant picture only 2 guys and trying to moved a 210G , its 24" wide and 6' long , one wrong move or one guy just gave up the tank will flip and BAM< bye bye tank LMFAO
lol, no, glass, but it wasnt moved too far. Most of the time i think when you get that many people trying to move a tank its kind of like too many cooks in the kitchen...most are just in the way. lol Sometimes its unavoidable though obviously. When servicing and setting up aquariums in Florida i moved A LOT of tanks...and i used to get paid ridiculous amount to do it too...i miss those days!!

The idea of filling it and adding vinegar and letting it run seems like a pretty decent one....just gonna be alot of rinsing, and more rinsing, and then some more rinsing. I guess thats going to be true no matter what though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Filling the tank with water and vinegar worked great! I used 5 gallons of vinegar and let it sit overnight (120g) but I may not have needed that much, the coraline algea came right off. I guess I have to rinse now, huh?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got all mine off, but noticed the glass was still not perfectly clear. I think 7 years of coraline alage etched the aquarium glass.

I bought a new tank when I made the transition to a planted aquarium.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts