The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to posting, although, I have been a lurker for several months. I recently got into the planted tanks. I set up my first tank about 6 months ago. It is a 56 gallon. I am trying to stay as low tech as possible. I was then diagnosed with MTS and set up a 10 gallon for a fry tank. And then....couldn't resist a 20 gallon on Craigslist. And on and on.. Ok, here is my problem. All my tanks were cycled properly.
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-20-40ppm
Temp-78.5
Ph-7.8 and stable at that. Also is 7.8 out of the tap.
Gh-5
Kh-0?

I just got the Gh/Kh kit,, as I started reading about buffering and wondered if my tanks were stable and trying to gain knowledge about my water. Also started seeing some plant deficiency problems (some holes in ludwigia leaves and java ferns grow for awhile and then turn black) in my 56 gallon. I dose leaf zone weekly with water changes (prime added) and just picked up some Kent growth accelerator and just started this week. The test kit for KH never turned blue when dropping water from the tanks. It is immediately yellow. It does turn blue out of the tap with a drop and then yellow the next drop. The GH changes at 5 drops. I live in a very rural area and the water I use is from our acre pond. All our house water comes from that. It is spring fed. It is not treated with bleach/chlorine. We only run a few paper filters to get the residue out of it and we purchase our drinking water. I understand that with little Kh, my Ph should fluctuate? and it does not. I do add a bit of cuddle bone to every tank filter to aide my mystery snail shells (doing well). Ok, soo,, are these results a problem for my plants and fish? Is there anything I should do different or add? Are there plants or fish that I should focus on for these parameters? The anubias, water sprite, hygro, ludwigia, dwarf sag all seem to be pretty stable. Thanks in advance if anybody has any knowledge to share with me.

Oh, as far as lighting and filtration:
I was able to get a finnex planted light cheap, so am using this during the day, but evenings usually switch back to the T8 daylight bulb (6500K) along with the blue led's for about 2 hours before bed (just because I like the aesthetics in the evening. I run the finnex for 6 hours (so total photo period is 8 hours). I have an aquaclear 70 and aquaclear 50 on the 56 gallon.

Bump: One more thing, substrate is Flourite capped with gravel.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Spring water, even tho you store it in a pond, shouldn't have a low KH. Spring water is typically hard water, with a relatively high KH. Maybe the water is mostly rainwater and not spring water? Your pH also suggests that the water has a higher KH than your test kit is showing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. That is why I was confused. I know that there is alot of rain water, but also know that that is is also spring fed. I may get another kit and see what results I get.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts