The Planted Tank Forum banner

Continuous water change, Drip Irrigation

1335 7
Hello all,
I wish to implement a drip irrigation based continuous water change system. But I am having a little trouble locating a suitable pressure regulator. The ones to be used on drip irrigation systems seem to have minimum flow considerations in the tenths of a gallons per minute range, far surpassing my gallon per hour plans.

Does any one have any suggestions as to which regulators work. What has everyone else used and had good luck with?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
+1 to the peristaltic pump idea. You will need some sort of overflow to remove the water as it is being added and I would suggest attempting to account for some of the evaporation.

What size tank and filtration are you currently using?

Also, if you use a pump that is slightly oversized (say an Aqualifter) you can always run it on a timer (half a day instead of constantly) to get the desired gallon per hour.

·
Children Boogie
16,742 Posts
Obviously, a peristaltic pump will need a tub of water to draw from and can't be plumb into a water line. Also get a brushless pump if you go this route. A brushed pump like last you a week or two running 24/7.

If you plan to plumb this into a waterline, you'll need 2 valves. A main valve to control initial flow and a needle valve for fine control. They both can be found at the hardware store in the plumbing aisle. You'll have to ask the people there for your setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use a solenoid and a timer that clicks on for 1.5 hours per day. My tanks are all drilled, as I don't trust overflow boxes. No issues after 8 months of continuous usage on 20 tanks. Setup is a huge pain, be prepared for that going in.

Evaporation is a non-issue, unless you are removing water with a pump (which, frankly, sounds like a recipe for disaster - hard to balance water in with water out and it would be prone to overflowing if the out pump breaks for any reason).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.