The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just sold off all my reef livestock from my Elos mini and I'm considering going with a freshwater planted tank using the Elos. I was wondering if you could give me any advice.

I would prefer to 'keep it simple'...I don't want to mess with CO2, etc. The main reason I took down my reef was bc life has become to busy for the constant maintenance.

If I can do something simple that would be great, but from what I understand a freshwater planted tank may require just as much maintenance as a saltwater reef?

The tanks I seem to be drawn to are the ones that just have substrate, rocks, and then a low growing ground cover that fills in between the rocks. Is it possible to have a tank like this, but keep it super simple and low maintenance?

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
If you're describing a carpet, it will not be low maint. It will need CO2 and ferts.

But there are lots of great things you could do with a low tech tank. It is a process though, and your first tank probably won't be great.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
993 Posts
6Speed - time to spend some time going through this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99729

Less light, slower plant growth, less problems.

Unfortunately, it isn't very common to see new hobbyists being able to have freshwater planted tanks that are very low maintenance. Typically, successful low maintenance tanks can be seen from folks that are experienced and already know what they're doing.

EDIT - are you 6Speed from reefcentral?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I love the Elos minis!

I'm on my fourth tank re-design in two years since I got back into the hobby and my aquascapes get prettier and my maintenance goes down each time but I'll agree with the above, initially it can be pretty maintenance intensive as you learn or re-learn different techniques.

Being that you are coming from the reef world you'll already have a solid grounding in the mechanics of fish keeping which will surely help but freshwater planted is a very different world with different challenges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts