·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so let's count. In the past one to one and a half months, I've lost:

5 rilis

3 rcs

1 (plus some babies) crs

I'm thinking something's wrong now. I mean killing off the neos before caridinas? Sounds a bit sketchy to me.

I can understand some of the deaths though, The 2 rcs I had in there, I've had for more than 9 months,and when I got them, they were already and inch. I assume few of the red rilis died from the usual causes when you add new shrimp (one tiny rili got trampled by a bunch of snails:icon_frow).

The remaining CRS and rilis seem to be doing fine right now. They're all picking at the moss and moving all around. They're all very clear too (the rilis). Honestly, by the rate the others died, at this point I feel like its a "who can survive the longest" game. I'm doing a water change today, and seeing if things get better. If things don't, I'm considering restarting this tank. Advice? Opinions?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
How are they dying? What's your water parameters? What's the sense of restarting if you don't know why they are dying... Sounds like when I first started and I had nitrate issues, I just threw some fast growing plants in (threw some water sprite in) and the deaths stopped. what's hardness and stuff?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I feel you. You can test your water to death and still not be sure whats going on. Right now, I'm in the process of ripping out most of my plants in my shrimp tank and sticking with just mosses and some floating plants for the shrimp. One, I can't see them, two I don't want to mess with CO2, dosing excel can be tricky and if the plants aren't getting enough of something, they start to die, decompose, you start getting spikes, makes the ground and gravel a mess, and just too much work. I like my shrimp more than the plants. Whether they breed enough that I can sell some at some point, great, breed enough to keep my populations going, great, just stay alive. lol.

So far, I haven't really had any deaths in the past little while, but not sure how many crystal babies I have left. I saw about 9 at once last week and today I saw about 4 today when I cleaned their sponge filter and ripped all the plants out of the tank. Some of them were growing like crazy and I couldn't see in the tank, then they were overshadowing themselves and killing the leave on the bottom, and just too much of a mess. Now its a moss ball, driftwood covered in moss and a moss rock I made in their tank. I also really screwed up the balance in my crystal tank. I was using netlea soil, reading on another forum about barely pellets and how they can absorb nitrates quickly, put some in my filter, instant coffee colored water. Instead of leaving it and letting the tannins make their way out, I did a big WC and because I use netlea soil to lower my pH, the big WC did a big pH spike and now its having a hard time going below 7 instead of the 6.2 it was sitting at. Should have left well enough alone but sometimes we want to try and make sure everything is the best. lol. Didn't work out too well. Now I've switched to RO water to help the buffering soil work a bit better, doing no WC, crushing some of the soil to get the acids to release and help lower it again, and blah, just a mess.

Then in trying to get more different kinds of shrimp in 1 tank, I got tank dividers and put them in while the tank was setup, which ended up with 3.5" of gravel in the last section as I kept sweeping the gravel to get the dividers in good. Well that also had a nice pile of mulm in it, canister filter didn't do a good job of circulating water in the whole tank, that section got bad and half my cherries got a parasite infection of white fuzzy worms growing on their heads. Then I had to more my tigers, use their tank as a QT tank, doing massive WC's on my main tank, blah, blah, etc, etc. Eventually I tore the whole tank down, redid the dividers, cleaned all the substrate, got it even, seemed to have gotten rid of the fungus, now I have to clean that tank really well before I put the Tigers back in as they're bunking with the yellows right now.

This should be a good post to the new people who think, wow, these shrimp sell for lots of money, I'm going to buy a bunch of tanks and shrimp and get rich. Its very involved, and time consuming, testing water, doing WC's, figuring out problems, keeping track of who is berried and for how long so you know when to look for babies, doing WC's without sucking up babies, having 1 little problem potentially wipe out your whole population, not being able to get babies to term, etc. Its a lot more work than setup tank, add shrimp, profit.

Good luck and hopefully you can find out whats going on. I'm in the same boat, so I feel.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
About the killing off of neos before caridinas, consider this:

When I got back from my 10 day vacation to San Francisco earlier this summer, I had an unpleasant surprise when I eagerly looked at my Ebi. Out of the 30 CRS and 10 RCS that I had when I left, NONE of the RCS were left and only 13 CRS survived. Yeah, you read that right. All the RCS died. Not all of the CRS. Weird, huh? I think that the night before I left, I did a big water change, and overdosed on Prime. That's the only thing I can think of. It's not like missing my water change (my vacation was 10 days, I usually do one weekly) killed them off. So, yeah. Sucks, doesn't it? I feel you, man.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Power outage maybe?

*edit* oops wrong thread lol.

About the killing off of neos before caridinas, consider this:

When I got back from my 10 day vacation to San Francisco earlier this summer, I had an unpleasant surprise when I eagerly looked at my Ebi. Out of the 30 CRS and 10 RCS that I had when I left, NONE of the RCS were left and only 13 CRS survived. Yeah, you read that right. All the RCS died. Not all of the CRS. Weird, huh? I think that the night before I left, I did a big water change, and overdosed on Prime. That's the only thing I can think of. It's not like missing my water change (my vacation was 10 days, I usually do one weekly) killed them off. So, yeah. Sucks, doesn't it? I feel you, man.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

I too am on the same boat of restarting.
I had around 16 CRS from SS+ to SSS. Cut back on dosing ferts and had good water parameters. Since it was my 1st planted tank of course CO2 is used.
They were doing good for around a month, then lost 6 of them.
Barely can see them with all the HC and most of my staro had died off that I had from the DSM. Ripped almost all of them.

Thankfully I got another 60P and had Shrimpnmoss help me out with a shrimp only tank.

Goodluck with your restart.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Doing any sort of re-scaping in a shrimp tank gets very dicey.

I am about to get two 20G H tanks and a double stand and 'build' the tanks from the word go to be shrimp tanks. pH buffering soil, floating plants and mosses, no plants in the substrate (though seriously considering some of the tank planters).

I am used to being able to stir up stuff off of or under the substrate and just let the massive overfiltration clean up the water and not worry about it when keeping fish tanks but even the temporary water quality issues seem to impact the shrimp. :(

·
Banned
943 Posts
Doing any sort of re-scaping in a shrimp tank gets very dicey.

I am about to get two 20G H tanks and a double stand and 'build' the tanks from the word go to be shrimp tanks. pH buffering soil, floating plants and mosses, no plants in the substrate (though seriously considering some of the tank planters).

I am used to being able to stir up stuff off of or under the substrate and just let the massive overfiltration clean up the water and not worry about it when keeping fish tanks but even the temporary water quality issues seem to impact the shrimp. :(
You just gave me an idea for my 20G high.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, no rescaping here.

ph- 6.8

hardnesss- not sure exactly, but I know it is relatively soft

temp- 73-76

nitrate-0 (well not 0, but too small amount to read)

nitrite-0

Ammonia-0

No CO2, no ferts, no pesticides, nothing but a well established tank, seed shrimp, shrimp, snails, plants and moss.

Do you think it's just the nitrogen cycle catching up since I added more shrimp recently? That's the only reasonable thing I can think of.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let the water get stable.... I've noticed water changes are not required to keep them alive. I just top off my tank with RO & supplement the water every other top off (which is usually once a week).

The biggest problem I've run in to was temp fluctuation. My tanks would change 4-5 degrees Celsius, and that would cause some deaths. After the heat wave, I was able to control more stable conditions and everyone is good again. Keep a well planted tank, and also look what you are feeding them. Try just plain spinach.

Tanks can take a few months to get started, starting another tank now would mean not putting any shrimp in it for at least 2 months. Stick with it, and try and keep the conditions as stable as possible. Hours of light, temp, don't over feed (they will find food).

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
substrate is just some norm small gravel mixed with fluorite granules. I've had this tank going since last summer. Do the seed shrimp do bad to shrimp tanks? They just seem to be overpopulating right now.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
substrate is just some norm small gravel mixed with fluorite granules. I've had this tank going since last summer. Do the seed shrimp do bad to shrimp tanks? They just seem to be overpopulating right now.
No,
Seed Shrimp, also known as Ostracoda, are tiny seed shaped crustaceans. They are usually a bit bigger than Copepods. They move in a same fashion as Copepods, eating all kinds of nice things from the glass/plant/etc. surfaces and you can see them walking inside the substrate too. Sometimes they swim in open water looking like drunken bees. Really cute, harmless. Great for aquariums as they clean inside of the substrate and are a sign that the water is clean.
Taken from here

They don't effect shrimp at all, some people just think they are annoying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.