The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My Opinion is: Spend Right the First Time--It will save you A LOT of $$$ over the long haul.

My issues with that system are: Check valve isn't worth a flip. You can buy a much better digital timer for about $10-12 more (~$20) than the one that comes with it. The silicon tubing is going to cost You C02 loss--better off with the Clippard stuff. You can DIY a Bubble Counter for $1-2. And there are probably much better Diffusers out there than the one that comes with it.

Either way: You will still have to add the cost of a filled C02 tank to the mix.

To answer Your question:

Considering Co2, would this work?
Sure, it'll work. But You would spend Your money--over-the-long-haul--better elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Tha's My Opinion--and I'm stickin' to it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just bought the full auto version and it was a nightmare to set it up. The check valve isn't working at all and the bubble counter is also leaking. Just returned the whole package today.

So I bought a new regulator from AauarimPlant.com which they claim to be the best in the world. The regulator is built with bubble counter which is neat so you don't have to mount it on the tank. All I need right now is a reactor and I am still looking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Opinion is: Spend Right the First Time--It will save you A LOT of $$$ over the long haul.

My issues with that system are: Check valve isn't worth a flip. You can buy a much better digital timer for about $10-12 more (~$20) than the one that comes with it. The silicon tubing is going to cost You C02 loss--better off with the Clippard stuff. You can DIY a Bubble Counter for $1-2. And there are probably much better Diffusers out there than the one that comes with it.

Either way: You will still have to add the cost of a filled C02 tank to the mix.

To answer Your question:

Sure, it'll work. But You would spend Your money--over-the-long-haul--better elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Tha's My Opinion--and I'm stickin' to it. :biggrin:
Do you have any specific suggestions then, I'm willing to do another month or so of saving if need be. What is the best product for the best price? :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought the full auto version and it was a nightmare to set it up. The check valve isn't working at all and the bubble counter is also leaking. Just returned the whole package today.

So I bought a new regulator from AauarimPlant.com which they claim to be the best in the world. The regulator is built with bubble counter which is neat so you don't have to mount it on the tank. All I need right now is a reactor and I am still looking.
So I guess I take them off the list of folks to get Co2 supplies from...:(

The whole thing leaves knots in my stomach to be honest, lol. I am hoping to find something reliable and efficient, but not spend all of my hobby money and then some in one chunk! :hihi:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I'd piece things together:

Azoo regulator, DIY reactor, Clippard check valve...etc.

Or you can go to Rex Grigg for all your CO2 needs. It'll be pricier than the Azoo regulator, etc.., but it'll be of better quality.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Or you can go to Rex Grigg for all your CO2 needs. It'll be pricier than the Azoo regulator, etc.., but it'll be of better quality.
Do you know of any reliable online source for the Azoo regulators that have the best pricing? Thanks.

*Edit* Actually, I might just go get an ADA setup from my LFS. I think it was around $200+ last time I asked.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

Exactly. IMO the Azoo is a Good regulator--if You want to save a few bucks. The regulator, solenoids, etc that Rex sells are Very Good Quality and will carry you through the long haul. So, its just really a matter of Your Budget.

Here's a link to the C02 stuff that he sells:

Rex's C02 Stuff

I have a Regulator setup for 2 tanks from Rex and another one that is an Azoo setup for 3 tanks. I bought the Azoo because it was on sale for $65 Shipped. Otherwise, I would have bought from Rex again.

The stuff he sells IS more expensive, but its better quality also.

Another one that You may want to consider is the one from Aquariumplants.com:

The So-Called Best

I have no experience with it, but there it is for Your consideration.

Just keep in mind that You will still need a C02 tank. You need to find out what Your options are in your area. Some places just swap tanks, some refill Your tank. Where I live--they just swap, so I bought the first tank from them and just swap it out. No point in buying a nice pretty new tank--just to swap it out for an old one. Keep in mind: a quick coat of spray paint can do wonders for the appearance of an old swapped tank!

Money being the only obstacle, My Preferences would be:

Rex
Aquariumplants.com
Azoo

HTH

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I have 2 of the Azoo regulators and they serve me well.

I also have AquariumPlants.com "The Best". It's OK.

If I had it to do over, I would of purchased one from Rex instead of "The Best."

Robert at AquaBotanic.com has "The Ultimate INJECTOR CO2 regulator." It looks like a quality item as well. http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/index.html

AquaticEco.com has a new Azoo regulator but I don't know anything about it. It's Part Number - AZ19009 CO2 Pressure Regulator. http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/22494

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just went through the headache of buying and setting up a CO2 system. Here is what I can tell you about the whole thing. I'm not an expert, so feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.

I see it this way, you have 2 options.

Setup with a controller, or without a controller. If you choose to setup without a controller, BUY A GOOD REGULATOR!!! The Milwaukee reg. that I have is not consistent with a bubble count. This is a nightmare if you don't wanna stare at it constantly. Since I do have a controller I can allow for inconsistencies, as the system will shut down before I kill my fish.

With that being said, Aquariumplants.com has the Milwaukee regulator and controller for aprox. $80 each. Or if you wanna go without the controller talk to rex, or get the aquariumplants.com “best” regulator. I would suggest buying your co2 accessories from Rex, CO2 tubing, couple check valves, and the permaseal, they are all quality parts.

Also I personally like the built in bubble counter that comes with the Milwaukee, and I think AP.com “best”. It allows for a clean setup.

Hope it helps!
Jim

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Setup with a controller, or without a controller. If you choose to setup without a controller, BUY A GOOD REGULATOR!!! The Milwaukee reg. that I have is not consistent with a bubble count. This is a nightmare if you don't wanna stare at it constantly. Since I do have a controller I can allow for inconsistencies, as the system will shut down before I kill my fish.
Have you tried to crank up the working side pressure to ~20-30 psi? It helps to keep the bubble rate constant.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Do you guys know that AquariumPlants.com's "The Best" regulator low pressure gauge only goes up to 15 psi and they recommend setting it at 10 psi? So, setting it at higher levels like 30 psi is out. My bubble count varies on this regulator. It was a PITA when I first got it. I added a pH controller to it so I wouldn't have to keep worrying about it. That's why I said that I wish I would waited and bought one of Rex's. He wasn't really advertising that he was making regulators when I ordered "The Best." I thought he was only selling some CO2 parts.

Rex's low pressure gauge goes to 60 psi and Robert's "Ultimate" goes to 40 psi. The Azoo's low pressure gauge goes up to 140 psi!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi Left C,

I thought the initial comments were in reference to the Azoo regulator, but I guess not...

I have my Azoo setup to 60psi. The one from Rex is on 30psi.

I noticed the 15psi gauge on "The Best"---wasn't sure what that is about, but that's what it comes with apparently.

Can the pressure be adjusted above 15psi--regardless of the gauge?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
...I noticed the 15psi gauge on "The Best"---wasn't sure what that is about, but that's what it comes with apparently.

Can the pressure be adjusted above 15psi--regardless of the gauge?
I really don't know for sure. The instructions say that it is a delicate precision instrument. I'll tell you a little more about "The Best."

The pressure would fluctuate between 8 and 13 psi, but because of the controller there were no problems. It did something odd the other day. I noticed that the low pressure gauge was pegged. It was well past the 15 psi mark. I don't know what happened to cause this. I adjusted it back up to ~ 11 psi and it was OK. The next day, the low pressure gauge read 0 psi but the bubble rate was the same. This doesn't make any sense to me at all unless the low pressure gauge is faulty. I just left it alone at 0 psi and it has been running at the same bubble rate the past few days. I'm just glad that it has a three year warranty. I'm not going to buy another "The Best."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts