The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new on here and this is my first post:biggrin:

I am wondering how congo tetras are in a planted tank? Could anyone tell me if they nibble bad??
Also, when full grown are they a really full bodied fish? They can grow to four inches long but how high?
And one more question, the pet stores seem to carry really badly coloured ones, (that I have seen), will these fish get better colour in better conditions or would I be better of getting wild caught ones.

Sorry for so many questions on a first post, but thanks for any help you can give:red_mouth

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I just got a school of adult males+one female. Mine didn't cost much young and would look like the ones at LFS according to the wonderful guy who let me have his and sure look nice now, check the last couple pages of my journal. Trick to buying them is get the males if possible as the fins and colors are far fancier than the females.

The largest male is 3" from nose to base of the tail fin and the tail adds another inch or so. He is maybe 1.5" deep from base of the dorsal to base of the pelvic fins. A stocky tetra rather than a streamlined one. Only makes sense, how could they swim fast with the fancy fins?

I am concerned about them eating my plants but they may be fine. One was eying the Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides waving in the current, tasted it then turned away. Hoping that means he didn't like it. The zucchini in the tank right now hasn't been bothered by them either although the female bristlenose pleco isn't good at sharing anyway! Only had them about 3 weeks so early days yet. Don't have any fine leaved stems like Mayaca but do not want my hairgrass destroyed!

These guys were in a smaller tank than mine and took a couple weeks to explore the whole tank and don't zoom back and forth like the more streamlined black neon tetras. Since they are large and look best in a big group a larger tank is a good idea but they don't need length so much.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

Kathyy I have been looking at your journal, beautiful tank btw.

I have a 55 gallon, which I think should be good enough, but it is heavily planted and I really don't wanna loose any plants after taking so long to get them going.
I think I'll just keep an eye on your journal Kathyy and see how it goes before commiting:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts