The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to my lfs on Wednesday with the plan that I would get rainbow fish to start stocking my tank with rainbow fish, zebra danios, and albino cories. Well, I didn't see the tank with the rainbow fish and there were no danios so I ended up with congo tetras. New plan is congo tetras and Australian rainbows.

From the research I have done congos are supposed to be active but peaceful. I have 6 for now and plan to add more later. I didn't want to cause a mini cycle so I didn't want to add too much at once. The internet said groups of 6 should be ok.

The first 2 days they were shy and schooled. Now, they are starting to colour up nicely and are using the whole tank. Last night I noticed that one of the males has started getting a little nippy. From what I can tell, since they are still quite young, I have 2 males and 4 females. I hope that is ok, that he will stop. So far this morning I haven't noticed this behaviour. The fish he was nipping at was a female, I think.

Is this normal? I probably won't be going back into town until Feb 6 (since it is over 200 km away and winter isn't the funnest in Newfoundland! Haha!) but I will add 4 more then. (My plan was 10 congo tetras, 6 rainbows, and 8 cories) Do you think a group of 6 will be ok until then?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have congos. They'll chase and nip occasionally but nothing serious. If it becomes relentless and/or fish start losing fins then you'll have to remove the culprit. That said, I'd be surprised if it came to that. They've always been docile for me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Your group of six will be fine for now.

What size tank are they in? They appreciate a lot of room, especially when full grown.

I keep congos (only 7 at the moment) and have never noticed them picking on other fish, their actually very shy in my tank despite being the biggest fish.

The males will compete with each other. But their tough enough to take care of themselves. I have had one of my males actually wound my other males mouth, but that's the worst I've had with them and even that healed up in about a week, with no complications, so I don't think you need to worry about them.

Good choice by the way! By far my fav fish, they are soo beautiful when happy!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have about a dozen in a 6' tank and they are wonderful. The males have mock fights which consist of chasing and pushing. Occasionally one will have a ripped tail fin but I don't think that is from nipping and it heals quickly. Even though they have good sets of teeth they don't even use them to hunt platy fry. I did have one interested in a sprig of H. sipthorpiodes whipping in the flow from the spray bar but he ended up not touching it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, guys :)

I forgot to put the info on my tank. It is a 4 foot tank, 66 gallons. Aqadvisor said my plans should be ok.

Maybe they were just playing, since they don't really seem to be having any issues today.

I really think they are pretty too. I can't wait to see them grow and colour up even better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.