The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get a clear answer but can't seem to...

I'm dosing Thrive+ in an EI fashion according to the website's instructions (2 times a week and 3 if nitrates go to 0 before the water change). So far in my 10g with high lights and probably more than 30ppm co2 (it is at the very edge before fish start gasping) and heavily planted, with 2 doses a week I am getting around 50-60ppm nitrates right before the water change.

I think I need to cut back on the dosing, but I am not sure what nitrate level to aim for right before the water change...should it be 10-20ppm? I read threads that say upto 40ppm nitrate reading is fine (again, right before the water change), but that seems wrong to me as the general guidance for livestock is <20ppm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
20-40 seems to be safe and enough to grow plants quickly. Keep an eye out for fish or shrimp health to help gauge safe levels as well.

There might even be research out there for nitrate ppm and livestock health.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I think I need to cut back on the dosing, but I am not sure what nitrate level to aim for right before the water change...should it be 10-20ppm? I read threads that say upto 40ppm nitrate reading is fine (again, right before the water change), but that seems wrong to me as the general guidance for livestock is <20ppm.

Thanks!
Nitrate readings from dosing IMO is completely different than nitrate readings from organic waste. I have consistently run 40-60 (even higher at times) no3 in my tank without any issue to fish.

Nitrate from decomposing waste/food comes from ammonia and other toxins the inorganic no3 we dose does not carry that baggage. My tank houses tetras, shrimp and snails. My sakura RCS breed all the time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've been trying to get a clear answer but can't seem to...

I'm dosing Thrive+ in an EI fashion according to the website's instructions (2 times a week and 3 if nitrates go to 0 before the water change). So far in my 10g with high lights and probably more than 30ppm co2 (it is at the very edge before fish start gasping) and heavily planted, with 2 doses a week I am getting around 50-60ppm nitrates right before the water change.

Thanks!
Wait. If you are dosing per website instructions (1ml/10gal/dose), and just 2x per week. That's about 15 ppm nitrate added from Thrive+.

Are you really adding 2.5 ml per dose, which is essentially a double dose per the website instructions?

If not you may want to look at either your NO3 test kit or your feeding.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait. If you are dosing per website instructions (1ml/10gal/dose), and just 2x per week. That's about 15 ppm nitrate added from Thrive+.

Are you really adding 2.5 ml per dose, which is essentially a double dose per the website instructions?

If not you may want to look at either your NO3 test kit or your feeding.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah definitely only 2 pumps in one week. I can try to measure the pump output just to make sure I'm only getting 1ml per pump.
The weird thing is I only have 2 fish in there right now and I've been doing feedings every other day (2 small h. rasboras). I did have a pretty big algae problem which I killed with h202...I wonder if the dying algae is causing this.

I have a water change scheduled for today so I'll do readings before the change and I'll do a control reading to with tap water to see what is going on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah definitely only 2 pumps in one week. I can try to measure the pump output just to make sure I'm only getting 1ml per pump.
The weird thing is I only have 2 fish in there right now and I've been doing feedings every other day (2 small h. rasboras). I did have a pretty big algae problem which I killed with h202...I wonder if the dying algae is causing this.

I have a water change scheduled for today so I'll do readings before the change and I'll do a control reading to with tap water to see what is going on.

Thanks!
Ahh, the decaying algae sounds more like it.

Since I have lots of time on my hands here in California, I went ahead and measured out what one pump of Thrive (C in my case) comes to. And it is highly variable.

Anywhere from .75 to 1.35 ml. But nowhere near 2x.

The problem with all-in-ones is that you can't adjust the different parameters. And the whole point of all-in-one is that it tries to cover all the bases for all the plants. So if you run CO2, dosing gets a bit tricky especially if you want to adhere to EI parameters. And if you push your CO2 limits you are going to want to push your ferts too.

For reference, and based on trying to narrow done why my shrimp keep dying, I am using Thrive S for micros on my 10 gallon planted (pictured below), I'm guessing medium-high light, with co2 at a 1 to 1.2 ph drop, at the rate of 12 ml per week (3x doses at 4ml each). That puts me at the lower middle end of the EI iron dosing (based off of rotalabutterfly.com). And that's 2x the dose that is recommended on the website. I dose macros separately from dry (Thrive S has very low macro input). On the flip side, I have a 40gal no CO2 tank that I dose recommended amounts 2x per week.

Keep in mind that Thrive+ has double the amount of iron in it so your numbers would be half mine and would put you squarely in the middle of EI dosing for micros based off of iron.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts