The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More lighting confusion....???

I'm think about adding pressurized Co2 to my 180G I'm setting up..... if I do then I think I will need to upgrade my lighting. I currently have 4x96 CF coralife. My first question, will this lighting work if I just add a low amount of Co2?

Second question, I want to know if I upgraded my light what would be the right amount of T5H0 light? How many bulbs? What wattage? I want a medium light tank. I want to look at Catalina to get the lights. My tank is 72 x 24 x 24. I will put the lights in a canopy.

I have no clue what I need and I want to get a ball park price from Catalina but I can't do that until I know what I need.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
co2 will work with any lighting, your current setup should be perfect with co2.

If you wanted to go t5ho, you'd likely need 4x39 watt t5ho's, that would make it TWO 3ft bulbs per row of bulbs, 2 rows total since they don't make bulbs bigger than 48"

--- Bulb - Bulb ---
--- Bulb - Bulb ---

Its up to you what route you wanna take ^^

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi HolyAngel,

Thanks for the advice...it's good to know my current lights would work well with c02. Do you think they will give off enough light for medium light plants? I know the WPG rule changes when you have a big deep tank.

If I was to upgrade my lights I'm wondering if I got something like this:
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_7_68&products_id=1124

...if the bulbs would be too close together? Not enough light would reach the front and back to the tank. Right now I have four fixtures so I can space them off each other like 6in to get more even distribution to the front and back. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Hey you're welcome! ^^

I think with 4 65w cfls and pressurized co2 you should be able to grow just about any plant you want, save for maybe some of the short foreground plants like HC.. Although I'm not sure how much par you're getting at 24"..

The Catalina fixture would definitely work, I would call Catalina to order from them if you do, and have them mount the 2 bulb setup in a 4 bulb fixture with the 2 bulbs mounted on the edges so that you'll get better spread, it shouldn't cost very much extra since youre still only getting the 1 ballast/2bulbs/reflectors still, and I know theyve done this a lot for people in the past. Atleast it looks like the retrofits are mounted on something so it should be possible.. You definitely need that spread for the tank..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good advice I wouldn't have thought of that:
4 bulb fixture with the 2 bulbs mounted on the edges
I think I'll start with the lights I have and see how it goes after I add co2 and then I can always upgrade. I just emailed them to see what two of those fixtures would cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts