1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
So I've been doing some reading and I come across lots of articles that say when using certain kinds of light the wpg rule becomes a little blurry. Long story short, would this fixture provide a little over 1wpg for a 24" tall hex as stated, or is this where the rule gets fuzzy?

http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Extreme_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_Current_USA_p/rcu01127.htm
The old WPG rule goes out the window when you start working with more efficient lighting choices such as the one you linked, which can provide more light with less power consumption.

Take a look at hoppy's chart, it gives a good idea of where you would be light wise.
remember, once you leave low light, injecting co2 becomes necessary

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

·
Registered
221 Posts
The old rule was always blurry. It was just a very broad, over generalized rule of thumb, but did nothing to accommodate depth of tank, type of reflector, spectrum output of bulb, etc. Nothing has changed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, co2 came up immediately and I've been looking into how to delve into that as well. A lot of what I have stumbled across have been pretty simple builds for DIY pressurized systems, however I was hoping to stay in the medium light range and start out with hardy plants to get established and then later introduce the co2. Would plants like Hornwort, Riccia, swords and java fern be accomodated by this plan?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Those would be fine nearly anywhere. But I have noticed some of the time Riccia can be picky. Low/med light but with added ferts and it grows well, but nothing added and it can just kinda fade away and disappear. Floating it grows well with nothing added.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
WPG Rule

Good morning Z...

I've used the Watts per Gallon rule for my low light, low tech tanks for several years and it works for me. I have larger tanks and use a single 6500 K, 40 watt, T12 in my planted tanks, but am a little limited on the plants I can grow successfully.

I do have a 45 G tall, with a single 6500 K, 32 watt, T12 I use to experiment with different substrates and liquid ferts and can grow a couple of plants that require stronger light, like Banana lilies, if I float them.

B

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good morning Brad! I'm actually a bit suprised I got responses this early, me and sleep aren't the best of friends lol. I didn't see CFL lighting on Hoppy's report so I'm curious if a 105w, 6400k, 5800lm cfl sho with a good reflector would reach a good medium lighting and not algae inviting overkill?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Lighting Question

Hello again Z...

This "oldtimer" has always been an early riser. You may be familiar with the old saying "Early to bed, early to rise..."

Anyway, when you get into the higher end lighting like nanometers, lumens and such, I'm pretty clueless. I'm an "old school" water keeper and never got into lighting too far.

I can tell you the best lighting mimics natural daylight at 5500 K. 6500 K bulbs are recommended for most aquatic plants. Apparently, the light blue color is a good thing for plants. Your 6400 K bulb with the reflector and 105 watts, sounds like plenty of light to me. My understanding is, if you have lighting in the 2 watt per gallon of tank size range, you'll have success with most aquatic plants. I have less than 1 watt per gallon and have been able to grow quite a number of plants in my short, longer tanks.

Sorry, I'm not a lot of help. I know what works for me, but not much interested in the why.

Guess we're kind of neighbors on this forum. PM me anytime, I've never too busy to talk about planted tanks.

B

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
There is a sticky on screw-in CFL Power Saver bulbs too, which has a chart showing how much light you could get from 3 different wattage bulbs at different distances. Those bulbs work best if mounted in the bell shaped clip on work-lights like Home Depot sells. If mounted horizontally I don't think you could get enough out of them for a 24 inch high tank, but vertically, it is possible.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have a 55w compact fluorescent 2g11 base bulb for my 28gal tank.
Light is 3" above water line and tank is 15-18
Do I have a medium light or low light?
How much light you get from one of those PC bulbs depends on what reflector you use. If you are using an AH Supply bright light kit, you can use the chart in the sticky to determine about how much light you have. But, there are also PC lights available that have very poor reflectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.