The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I'll preface by saying that I've kept shrimp (RCS and, briefly, CRS) before.

I'm starting up a new 46G in which I want to keep CRS and some schools of small fish (Microrasbora Erythrimicron, CPDs, Boraras Brigittae). Since I'm a student I figure this also gives me some possibility of selling the resultant CRS culls to my LFS for some $$ as well as being cool and large but low-maintenance. This 46G will be one of two tanks (one additional 5G awaiting a Dwarf Puffer) and so I'm hoping to maximize variety by having a couple of shrimp / invert types. So in addition to the CRS I was hoping to have CPOs and one other shrimp type.

Anyway on to the question:

-I was thinking of having Black-banded shrimp (Black Bee) because initially I thought they would interbreed with CRS but then I see them in numerous pictures feeding with high-quality CRS. Am I misreading the PlanetInverts chart which says NOT to keep them together? Or am I right, because the CRS description page on the same site has a feeding time picture that has a black-banded shrimp?

-If I can't keep black-banded with CRS and have true breeding CRS, what's a recommendation for shrimp that would do well with them? Please don't mention RCS because I would like something with closer water condition requirements (spec. pH / temp / etc.) so I don't have to compromise on maintaining an optimal environment for both species... It's a shame that the Blue Tigers will interbreed because those are very striking with their orange eyes. Anyway, recs appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I keep some CBS in my tank with CRS and they do interbreed. You'll get a mix of both red or black shrimp depending on the CBS gene. A pure CBS x CRS will give you all black/brownish shrimp, but it'll have the red recessive gene in them. Later if that same offspring breed with a CRS you will then get a mix of both colors. I keep the black around to enhance the white portion of the shrimp, but if you're interested in only red version then just keep only CRS. I personally can't recommend any other shrimp that prefer the same water parameter as CRS.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So with keeping Black and Red together you end up with lower quality blacks as the offspring? Essentially you'd be reducing the true-breeding potential of each and you'd only get high-quality offspring (assuming you start with high-quality parents) if they by chance bred with another of the same color strain (CBS x CBS, or CRS x CRS)?

And yeah part of why I posed the keeping with other shrimp question is because looking at the planetinverts chart it seems like the only options for keeping them with are Yellow, Blue Pearl, or RCS. The Blue Pearls seem neat but the intensity of color doesn't seem impressive compared to the Blue Tigers, (and I have black substrate so they'd blend in) so I will probably go with Yellow shrimp for this tank.

Other suggestions definitely welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
If you have high grade blacks and reds they will still be high grade. If you have low grade blacks and high grade reds you will probably get something in the middle. They are the same species just a different color.

Yellows and RCS are the same species and need the same requirements.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Go with the genus names. Those are telling. All cardinia shrimp have the possibility to interbreed, all neocardinia etc.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Go with the genus names. Those are telling. All cardinia shrimp have the possibility to interbreed, all neocardinia etc.
This is not the case at all! While many Caridina shrimp will breed together there are quite a few that will not. Neocaridina have far fewer that will not cross breed!

Bee Shrimp will breed with CRS. They are the same species after all!

·
Registered
29 Posts
And yeah part of why I posed the keeping with other shrimp question is because looking at the planetinverts chart it seems like the only options for keeping them with are Yellow, Blue Pearl, or RCS. The Blue Pearls seem neat but the intensity of color doesn't seem impressive compared to the Blue Tigers, (and I have black substrate so they'd blend in) so I will probably go with Yellow shrimp for this tank.

Other suggestions definitely welcomed.
I would do CRS and Snowballs or Blue Pearls, Snowballs are basicly RCS too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts