The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Sky Gas Tints and shades Electric blue

Hi All,

I've attached a picture of a friends pond Goldfish with what seems to be very bad Dropsy. I'm just posting on here to see if you guys suspect anything else and if so is it cureable/treatable? Whatever the disease is, it seems pretty far gone so euthenasia seems the only option. But if you guys belive otherwise do let me know! Thanks in advance!

Swan

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like dropsy. That looks like a pretty severe case. I'm not sure if it can recover from that. Try adding salt, MgSO4, and feed it anti-biotic foods.
Hmm. I thought I was Dropsy. But always safer to put it to the PT first before doing anything drastic. I think Clove Oil Euthenasia is the only fair thing to do. Thanks again!

Swan

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would definitely recommend euthanasia- the fish looks pretty far advanced. I use blunt force for smallish fish, but clove oil is supposed to be a pretty humane way to go.

Coincidentally, I just pulled a lttle Sarassa from my pond who is developing dropsy. I put him in a 10 gallon tank with salted water and ordered this food since he is still eating:

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=9&catId=1

I normally don't hold out much hope for fish with dropsy and had pulled this guy out to euthanize him, but looking at him in the bag I just couldn't do it. I'm not usually this sentimental! If he lives I'll be stuck with him in the house until spring since I wouldn't want to stress him out by dumping him in a frozen over pond once he's cured.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I second the metro meds. It made the dropsy go away in one of my goldfish. If your fish is still eating this stuff might save him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.