The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of starting up a new 29g- the first new tank in 6 years. First time trying "silent cycle" or very short one such as described in KGTropicals.
Current tanks are 29 heavily planted SA, been going for close to 20 years, a 10 gallon planted going close to 6 years (temporarily housing way too many fish until new tank ready) and an 8 gal Nuvo Nano, (was) also heavily planted and housing some cherry barbs.

New tank cycling so far :
Substrate- ½ Eco Complete, ¼ gravel, ¼ quarter old substrate from 8 gal
Plants: from the old 8 gal and 29 gal SA, new hairgrass.
Driftwood: old small pieces from 8 gal and 29 SA, new large.
Filters: Aquaclear 20 HOB and a new Seachem Tidal 55 HOB. The Tidal 55 had been running in the old 29 gal SA for about 5 days, installed in new 29 two days ago. AQ 20 has the filter sponges from the old 8 gal in it.
Parameters: Same as other tanks atm : 0 No2, 0 No3, pH 7.5, KH 120, GH 180+

So.. Am I ready to stock? I have a couple of options, the new tank is for a breeding pair of Angels (have had them 3 mos) an SAE (a year or so) and some cherry barbs (3 mos). Put the Cherry Barbs in first, test, add the rest in a couple of days? Put them all in? Take old filter media from AQ 50 on the 29 gal SA and put it in the Tidal 55? Or is the Tidal running for 5+ days in an old tank enough seeding for the filter media?

I have a bad habit of getting caught up in minutia, lol, but did I miss anything? Thanks!

Old 29 SA

Plant Water Plant community Houseplant Botany

New 29 ready?
Water Plant Vertebrate Nature Botany

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
You have to add ammonia to grow the bacteria that cycles your tank. You can add filter material from an existing tank but you have to keep it fed with ammonia. If you're doing a fishless cycle then you have to add ammonia in bottled form and then test the water. One bacteria will convert ammonia to nitrites, then another bacteria will convert nitrite to nitrates. Adding matured filter media will speed up this process but if you don't keep the bacteria fed they will not survive. If you don't at a minimum have an ammonia and nitrite test you're just guessing when it's cycled.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answers. Testing is 2x per day. Not doing the fishless cycle. The ammonia will be coming from the fish themselves. The idea of using bacteria seeded (some of the sponges have been used continuously for 6 years) substrate, plants and filter media is to do the short cycle as described in KGTropicals video. Basically taking substrate, plants, and filter media from long running well established (decade?) tank, and putting it in the new one. The old sponges were installed in the new tank the same time as the fish. If ammonia spikes, there are 4 more sponges being used in old filters in the other 29 gal.
Basically I wanted to know how long the bacteria would live before the fish went in, and if used filter media, old substrate, and old driftwood theoretically would have enough bacteria to process the ammonia from 4 juvie Angels and 7 cherry barbs. At this point, the fish have been in overnight, not showing nitrite or nitrite yet, every one is zooming around begging for food.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I was confuse by the question in your first post, "So.. Am I ready to stock?". I assumed that meant you hadn't put fish in yet.
Understood, I hadn't stocked when I wrote it, just checking if I'd forgotten anything before dropping them in. The fish were already in another tank, all it involved was moving them from one tank to another. I had read about the idea of not needing to cycle if the tank was preloaded with old substrate and media.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I've always done "silent cycles" but always add fish very slowly. The tank technically doesn't have to be cycled you just don't want detectable ammonia showing up. Think goldfish bowl. Does it ever really cycle or are you just removing ammonia via water change. Four juvie Angels and 7 cherry barbs is significant so I would keep up with consistent water changes regardless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts