The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum and planted tanks in general. I impulsively bought two plants at my LFS. I'd been wanting to add some color to my tank and help soak up excess nitrates. I was told they were easy to take care of, but when I got home and looked them up, I found differently. The LFS told me they were Red Nesaea and Rotala Indica.

Can anyone confirm the ID? I've attached a FTS for your viewing. To my untrained eye, the IDs match, but I'm hoping they are some sort of look-alike more appropriate for a novice.

I would also appreciate any advice. I'm thinking of just returning them, but if there's any way I could keep them, that would be awesome!

Tank Parameters:

Size: 10 gallons
Light: Floramax T8 Fluorescent for 12 hours per day
Substrate: Gravel
Plants: Anubias, Amazon Sword, Red Nesaea?, Rotala Indica?
Dose every other day with Flourish Excel
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5
Temperature: 77
Fish: 1 danio, 1 cory, 1 mystery snail (I had more fish, but unfortunately they died while I was cycling the tank. I'm going to keep the parameters stable for a few more weeks before adding more fish).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Welcome! First thing, since your tank is new I would not run the lights for that long, especially with the low plant load you have. algae will attack. Cutting it down to 6 hours is advisable, then you can slowly move it up as the tank is maturing.
Another thing, don't stress too much about Nitrate readings. A lot of people actively dose Nitrates, as the plants need them as a source of Nitrogen. You will need a really high level to harm your livestock.
I think the ID on the first one is correct, Ammania gracilis. The second one I think is Rotala rotundifolia (often miscalled Rotala indica) in its emersed form. Meaning it's in a form which was not grown in water. After a while in your tank its leaf shape will change and it will probably melt a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've had the Anubias and Amazon for a few months, so I had gradually increased the light to 12 hours. Is that still too much for the tank? I've had some algae on the leaves but it's slow growing and I just wipe off what the fish don't eat every once in a while.
I retested parameters today and my pH shot up to 7.6 over the last 24 hours. I had added crushed coral for my snail but I guess I'll take it out. Plants prefer acidic water correct? My kH was 3 and GH was 4 today.
Should I get another substrate in addition to the gravel? Or use fertilizer tabs?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
8 hours is fine, but if 12 is working for you go ahead, I would just be hesitant.
Errr, some plants prefer low KH and GH, whereas others don't. Your KH and GH are right now in a really good place to grow most plants though. Although, people dispute the actual importance of these 2 values relating to plants. Not quite sure what your snail requires, I've heard they prefer harder water, but someone else will need to chime in on that. But, yes the coral will increase your pH etc.
Just use tabs, changing substrate is a PITA, and only do it when you want to redo the tank. Obviously, if you go high-tech in the future you will need more than root tabs and fish poop.
By the way I would adjust your stocking, depending what Cories you have a group (which is a must for them) may not be suitable for a 10G tank. Also, I wouldn't recommend going with Zebra Danios (I assume it's a Zebra Danio) in a 10 gallon tank. If you can I would return em. You should look at stocking nano fish like Celestial Pearl Danios, Microrasboras etc. If you want a bigger fish a Betta would be the way to go. You can probably have a look at keeping shrimp too if you get smaller fish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the more I learn about the fish I picked, the more I realize what a mistake I made. I had more danios but they all died so then I tried corys. They all died too, surprise, surprise. Poor things. I relied too much on LFS advice without doing my own research. Maybe I can find someone around here that will take them.

I just moved and the water is much softer here. My snail's shell was already doing poorly so I'm a little worried he won't do so well in the soft water. Hopefully I can find a happy medium for the plants, fish, and snail.

I'll shorten the light time per your advice. Thank you very much for all your suggestions!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
No worries! Yeah we all get caught into that trap when we first start out (well, most of us), don't be too bummed about it. Learning from our mistakes is very important in this hobby. Best of luck with the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts