The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im setting up a container pond ready for spring and summer.
I'm using a oak half wine barrel (40G) as it looks most appealing, but its not without problems. I need to properly clean and remove the nasties from the wood.

Before I purchased it, the barrel had been in water, refilled 6 times for 3 months. I currently have it in dirty greenly algae water in full sun. This is a bid to clean it naturally, making bacteria deteriorate the bad stuff. Its been 2 weeks and now im seeing mosquito larvae and slime on da wood. Think this is a good sign? Is my barrel ready, at least aquatic-plant friendly ready?

appreciate any input or previous experiences.:D

*i dont want the hassle and cost of pond liner.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
You might not "want" the hassle of a pond liner, but you need it. Once cut in half, they are also significantly less water sound.

I definitely wouldn't put fish it in without a liner. They aren't that expensive on somethign that small.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have gold fish in mine with out a liner at all. I was very worried id kill the fish with out one but i just went out and bought some feeder gold fish for 13 cents a piece just to find out but its doing fine no deaths yet in 3 months

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.