The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Diagram

Would this work as an aquarium rack for two aquariums? Would it be able to hold the aquariums steadily? What is the maximum load? What are the maximum sizes of the aquariums? What type of wood should I use?
Thanks. Open to suggestions and changes. :)

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Well I' m no structural engineer so I' ll just leave it as thoughts .
Blocks can hold a lot of weight.
load-bearing blocks must be able to withstand 2,500 to 3,000 psi

Issue is the fact that the tank weight doesn't' go directly through the blocks but offset and concentrated on the more or less floating plywood. Plywood deflection will depend on multiple factors such as thickness, span, and tank size.
Common "fix" is s using 2x's instead.
Overkill ???
Again depends on span and tank size.
Aime worry about racking i.e. left right shifts and instability.
I don' t see it as an issue though at 3 tiers???
Granted books are not as heavy as water but the tank weight would actually add to the stability.
But see bottom most deflected plywood
and I' d keep the blocks with holes up not forward.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have 4 of these holding multiple tanks that range from 75 to 10 gallons. None of them are three tiers high. Mostly because I dont want to have to do maintenance on any tanks that high, and I don't think my floor could handle the load. The racks should have no issue with it however.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm a structural engineer and I'll say that the blocks won't be your primary cause for concern. The plywood thickness and the distance between the blocks is what you need to look at. Plywood typically has "span ratings" that indicate the area load that a certain plywood thickness is capable of safely carrying without significant deflection over a certain span. If you can get me information about your plans for the thickness and the span, I can give you more info.

Also, somethings that most individuals do not consider when building tank stands is lateral loads. Aka if someone were to bump into the stand from the side, or if you were in an earthquake prone zone. If you don't think either of things could ever occur, then you won't need to worry much, but if they could occur, I could also provide you with suggestions to make sure it doesnt topple over under one of these events, as the drawing you have would be pretty susceptible to this type of failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts