The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The raised water bubble thing looks like it might be problematic. I imagine you could adjust as needed by threading a bit of tubing/air hose up there, and sucking out/blowing in air to adjust the water level as desired, so that part might not be too difficult. However, I would expect it to get full of condensation, so it might look a little funny. Or it might not, worth a try...

A possible concern would be the size of that upturned glass jar, it looks like it would hold a fair amount of water relative to the total system, so if it got upset or something, that water could possibly overflow the outer bucket. Instead of stacking everything on a terracotta pot, it might be more stable (and easier to clean/maintain) if you made 3 notched legs out of something like pvc, attached to a block on the bottom.

I think sealing the bucket is probably the way to go, and filling with mostly inert material - the water will leach through normal terracotta. If you get a bigger pot, try getting moss to grow on the terra cotta, that would be a neat look. For sealing, I'd just use epoxy - they sell some intended for making counter/table tops by the sealant/varnish section in hardware stores, it's a pretty easy to use 1:1 mix, clean the bucket well, mix up a small batch, coat the inside of the bucket, let cure, repeat if necessary.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts