The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Clever idea, but I worry about temperature. Chicago may not be as hot as SoCal, but it can get hot, and you're essentially putting a fish in a solar oven. How will you maintain a reasonable temperature? in that glass? Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Copper is deadly to fish.
No, copper is deadly to shrimp and invertebrates. Copper is a major component in Ich medications, and is NOT deadly to most fish.

Bump:
The other thing is there is little gas exchange. The fish won't be able to breath.
Unless I'm missing something, isn't the system open on the sides, all around the jar?

If it's sealed, yes, that will be an issue.

And frankly, now that I think about it, I'd be a little worried about the flower/plant in that jar, too. Either getting cooked or starved for gas. Not a big deal compared to the fish, but still.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My LFS recommends putting a few pennies (older ones that are still pure copper) into every tank as an ich preventative. Not an issue for most shrimp, even, in these low concentrations. (I wouldn't risk expensive sensitive shrimp, but hardier cherries, amanos and ghosts have been fine in larger tanks with pennies in them.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts