The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Sounds awfully complicated. Think of how you would maintain this. Keep it simple (kiss).

As you know,Chicago weather isn't conducive for such a plan without a heater. Ice will blow up anything glass.

Look at your sealer closely. You can paint on epoxy pool sealer but a glazed terra-cotta pot will work without any seals.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
It does look like the sides are open to the air but the majority of if is taken up by the glass jar. I'm not sure if there's space for a pump or air line. Either way, this seems like a complex way to be unsuccessful. Get rid of the stuff in the middle.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Copper is toxic to most life forms in certain concentrations depending on the species. However, we use copper pipes to transport water into our houses. You don't see us or our fish & shrimp dying because the pipes have formed an oxidized protective layer where copper ions aren't in the water. That's what I understand.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
My LFS recommends putting a few pennies (older ones that are still pure copper) into every tank as an ich preventative. Not an issue for most shrimp, even, in these low concentrations. (I wouldn't risk expensive sensitive shrimp, but hardier cherries, amanos and ghosts have been fine in larger tanks with pennies in them.)
Yeah, you're not suppose to throw pennies into koi ponds either. While cooper metals will form an oxidized layer, acids or salts will corrode the layer releasing copper ions into the water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts