The Planted Tank Forum banner

Concerns about growing plants in tap water.

826 4
Hello all,

I am attempting to do a 10g low tech planted aquarium. This tank will primarily be used as a long term setup for breeding Killies with fry growing out.

But have concerns about my tap water straight from the tap. The following results are my tap water straight from the tap before allowing time for outgassing:
Material property Font Rectangle Number Pattern

I have had problems in the past growing some plants with the above parameters and wonder if I should cut with RO water. I would prefer to not do 100% RO, as I do not have a unit and have to buy it. I am currently in the process of outgassing Tap water cut with RO water with the following results:

Font Material property Rectangle Electric blue Number

Thoughts on these results?

I currently have some crypt. wendtii that have been doing pretty well. I also had val. that spread like crazy but never grew any height it was all really short. I am not sure if that was a cause of the light or something else.
I am concerned that hornwort and other stem plants will struggle with the tds. As I am wanting to do plants with finer leaves so fry have some hiding spots.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I will update with 24h outgassed water tomorrow to see the change(if any).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Your straight tap water has high gh/kh so many plants would likely struggle. Hornwort, pearl weed, and guppy gass grows just about anywhere so I wouldn't hesitate to try those. The water cut with ro should be fine for most plants.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Distilled water from the grocery store typically has <1 ppm TDS. That might be more economical than buying a RO. In my area, tap water has about 320 ppm TDS and a PH of 8. The ph in the cycled tanks is about 7.3 without any intervention on my part, probably because of the bacteria on the filters and driftwood. The ph will go up a little after a water change but goes back down pretty quick. I've heard of people using vinegar to lower the ph but I haven't used it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.