The Planted Tank Forum banner

Concerns about 55 gallon water parameters

1561 7
So I am still relatively new to doing a planted tank and about 6 months ago switched from a 20g planted tank to a 55g tank. At first my plants seemed fine but now they are starting to melt away or become stunted. I have checked my water parameters and I am not concerned that I don't have enough nitrates in the water. I was using purigen to remove nitrates and I was doing about 25% water change every week. So I guess long story short then I will explain my setup, just wanting to know best practices for people with larger tanks that have a decent amount of plants.

55 Gallon
pH 7.0
Temp 79 Degrees
0 Nitrates or Nitrites
kH unsure will have to check
gH is kinda high 180 I think

I dose with Flourish Excel once a day in the morning.
I use Flourish once a week with water changes.
I use Prime to condition water once a week but also use Seachem's Nuetralizer once a month.
I use root tabs every couple months

Fish
3 Roseline Sharks
4 Australian Rainbows
12 Cherry Barbs
6 Glass Catfish
1 Common Pleco
1 Cardinal Tetra (He survived an Ich outbreak in a previous tank.)

Plants
2 Red Flame Sword (seems fine)
4~5 Cryptocoryne (doing okay but are kind of wilty)
3 Java Swords (These are fairing the worst)
3 Vals (not doing so hot either)
3 Water sprites (These are pretty wilty too)

Any help or advice for how to help my plants out would be appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe some of the melt is due to flourish excel. I see you have some vallisneria which doesn't always react well with excel. Or you could also be experiencing some crypt melt which is very common. To boost your plants maybe cut down on the excel usage and maybe use some seachem iron to. Also to boost nitrate use some seachem nitrogen or use something with potassium nitrate.

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
Vals do not like Excel but a few of the members have reported that they did all right as long as the recommended doses of it were followed and not more.
You said the most effected plants are the Crypts and the Java Swords(Fern?).
These are my pick for the ones most likely to have GSA on the leaves and have a hard time taking in light because of it. So what kind of light and for how long ?
Then there is the Water Sprite(I think I only see Water Wisteria) and if it is Wisteria the amount of Potassium you are dosing is way low for them.
Flourish(comprehensive?) has only trace amounts of Potassium in it.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=785841

Almost forgot: Planted tanks should have between 10-20 PPM nitrates. Fish only tanks prefer 0 nitrates, but as long as it doesn't get into 40 or more it
works out OK for them in a planted tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise. I can scale back on dosing flourish and see how that goes. I will also pick up some potassium.

I do believe it is wisteria, sorry I am not the best with plant names yet. The Crypts are the only plants that have a little algae growing but it is very very little, my tank is relatively free of algae which is what makes me worry I don't have enough nutrients in my tank for the plants.

I have taken out my purigen and I am just using sponges floss and bio media.

I have two 48" T5 Lights and one 12" T8 light.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Stop using Seachem Neutral regulator. It's a heavily phosphate-based product and the little bit of algae you're seeing will get worse. Seachem themselves don't encourage using it in planted tanks.

Prime shouldn't be dosed either. It's meant to be used to treat your water change water. Adding it to your tank between water changes should only be done in ammonia or nitrite spike emergencies.

Seachem is pretty good at providing details on their products in their website.

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
That is actually a pretty good amount of light for a 55g. And it's in a canopy so you can't raise it, but you can lower the number of hrs of it.
In my tank it was much closer but only one bulb of T5 and at 8.5 hrs it was growing GSA on the leaves of my Crypts so recently I dropped it to 7.5 hrs.
I have 2.5 hrs in the A.M. for when I get home from work till I go to sleep.
Then 5 in the P.M. for afternoon watching. I use the recommended doses of Excel also but I use the dry ferts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stop using Seachem Neutral regulator. It's a heavily phosphate-based product and the little bit of algae you're seeing will get worse. Seachem themselves don't encourage using it in planted tanks.

Prime shouldn't be dosed either. It's meant to be used to treat your water change water. Adding it to your tank between water changes should only be done in ammonia or nitrite spike emergencies.

Seachem is pretty good at providing details on their products in their website.
Sorry the way I worded it does make it sound like I just put prime in every week. I only use it with water changes lol.

I do have my lights on a timer for 8 hours a day. Is this too much?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.