The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12x12x12 exo terra, I am considering a pauladrium. Here is my work to date. Would this be ok with a pair of small frogs? What are your thoughts on how to get a frog out of the water and back on land? The water will be about 3 inches deep.

Maybe my unit isnt tall enough for a pair of imitators?

chaz

http://picasaweb.google.com/chaznsc/Exoterra

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the natural look so how about taking some cork bark panels and attaching them to the front on an angle...don't know much about frogs but i'm guessing if they can crawl up your background they definately would be able to crawl up the cork bark...a large piece of driftwood would also look awesome if you could find one long enough to fit your needs...then there is always the DIY method and use GS and foam in the space...add some drainage ports along the bottom to allow the water to get to your pump underneath your egg crate and then cover it with a concrete binder...

·
Registered
384 Posts
In my experience, imis are not good swimmers. Period. Also, 80% of your fruit flies will end up drowned in the water feature. I'm really convicned that darts and paludariums are two very hard concepts to reconcile.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nellis,
Thanks for the help. I think I just may go straight vivarium with a waterfall inside (no standing water to get into) and allow it to drain into the false bottom. I hadnt even considered the fruit flies!

This is a great board. Even a dummy like me can do things successfully.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nellis,
Thanks for the help. I think I just may go straight vivarium with a waterfall inside (no standing water to get into) and allow it to drain into the false bottom. I hadnt even considered the fruit flies!
I didn't consider this either. I originally had a waterfall and a little pond section, but reconstructed the whole viv to spread the water flow out... so that in any one spot, it was just a trickle. I also filled in the pond. Now my frogs seem fatter, and I don't see piles of fruit flies swirling around the bottom of the vivarium.

Mind you I had to learn from my own mistake, and do major reconstruction AFTER I got frogs. They were pretty p'd off for a week or so and I think they are still mistrustful. Just thought I'd hand off some 2¢.

-Nate

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In your opinion, are frogs a high maintenance item? What are your feeding intervals, etc?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Excellent thoughts here.

I've seen the full plant wall done with Tricolors (Black Jungle has a BIG one in their store). The bottom is all water (not terribly deep).

I'm not sure how they feed but I've seen tads in the bottom of the tank.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
160 Posts
Once you understand everything... making the ff cultures weekly (NO MATTER WHAT), what pitfalls to avoide... I think Vivariums are easier than Aquariums.

I feed twice a week, maybe three times. I give a bit extra though so you'll see them scooting around the tank on other days looking for flies.

Just my opinion though.

s
In your opinion, are frogs a high maintenance item? What are your feeding intervals, etc?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
chaz,
i've been researching PDF's for a few months now. I honestly don't think you have a great setup for PDF's.
I would go with firebelly toad/newt combo, or a Small treefrog/fish combo, with an eastern newt.
African reed frogs are cool and stay small.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is a PDF and why dont you think I have a good setup? (I dont diagree, would just like your opinion on it)

Thank you :)

chaz

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ah, Poison dart frog(Imitators)
I'm basically agreeing with <frawg> and nellis. I think you'd be better off with a more compatible animal to your setup iidea. plus, the ones i posted are tons cheaper than PDF's. and they will take crickets, which can swim better than fruit flies.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im looking for something small. Does anything you know of remain small......and quiet? You ar right about the cost of the PDF's I had no idea they were 40 bucks a pop plus shipping. I think with my exo-terra I am going to skip the open-water, other than the false bottom and a stream in the center. I have a fluval 1 filter to move the water.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
oh, then the pdf's will work fine. i was reccomending stuff for your original idea.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
heh, reed frogs or clown tree frogs are cheaper, or day geckos even. they are more like 15-20$ each or so. check around the papers and stuff and see if there are any reptile expositions going on anytime at your city, they are great places to scope out potential pets.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How hard are they to breed/raise? Someone needs to break the glass ceiling and get the prices down to affordable levels.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Define affordable.

This same frog has been $85 as recently as 18 months ago.

I could tell you about my $300 frogs if you're interested. ;)

They're not terribly hard to breed. They are not extremely prolific though. Supply/Demand dictates $50 at this point, and they're worth it. Go back and look at the pics Nellis posted.

They will occasionally raise their own tadpoles - it's nice to get a little surprise hopping out of the plant background. If I see eggs, and they're in an easy to grab spot, I will raise the tads myself as I will take care of all egg/tads and the parents will normally not take care of them all.

s

1 - 20 of 25 Posts