The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gamma uv sterilizer has been set up for two days, and has done its job wonderfully. The downside is that I've lost one botia loach and there are a few specs of ick on the threadfins. Nothing disasterous, I can deal with the ick..... but I'm a little curious as to what killed the botia loach....he's hanging on by a thread, but obviously isn't going to make it. The bases of all his fins are blood red, as well as his anus. The other Botia (Angelicus) loach is fine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Shak...I'd have to believe that the issues you're having with the fish are completely coincidental and not caused by the initiated use of a UV-sterilizer. I can't imagine any way that a UV-sterilizer might foster an ick infection, even a small one. And, the fact that only one of your two Botias showed the described problem certainly suggests that it's referable only to that one Botia and not something that the UV generated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well here's the thing....the visibility in my water before the uv was introduced was zero. The water was completely green....I couldn't see the plants in the back of my tank and its only a 55. So, in anticipation for a bunch of dead free floating algea and bacteria, I did a 40% water change right before I installed it. I realize thats a huge thing for fish to deal with but I figured it was better them deal with that than the possibility of an ammonia spike bc of all the dead/decaying free floating matter. So, I'm thinking that could be a contributing factor.....also, these fish have been living quite happily in an environment where they really couldn't see their other tank mates for the past two months....now that the water has cleared in a matter of 48 hours, I'm wondering if the stress of knowing they're swimming around with quite a few other fish could have stressed them into illness/death...ick can be stress induced, correct?

What really gets me, is....UV Sterilizers are supposed to kill nasty little parisites like ick....I have a 25 watt on a 55 gallon.....wtf?!

ps
What causes the base of a loach's fins to turn blood red? Thats what I'm really curious about.

·
Registered
405 Posts
shak...when one does EI-dosing, which a very substantial number of the people here do, there's a 50% water change done every week. So, I don't really think that it has anything to do with that amount of water being changed at one time. On the other hand, if the water used for the water changes is chemically radically different from the water in your tank, then that might have been the cause of stress given that you did do a 40% water change. I can't argue the other point you make about there suddenly being stress brought on by bickering and aggression that hadn't been the case when there was so little visibility in the tank before. But, I'd say that there was some stress going on that weakened, at least, some of the fish that didn't have anything to do with the addition of your UV-sterilizer. As for the fins turning blood red, that sounds like septicemia which is usually a (bacterial) secondary infection.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Uv will only kill waterborn organisms. It won't impact any organisms already infecting the fish. So the presence of uv won't cure an existing problem. Stop the spread maybe, but it won't sterilize the fish. :)

you may still need to treat infected fish while uv hinders the spread of the infection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was ick, I treated it, and its gone. Upped the temp, tad of aquarium salt and voila, no more ick....sooooo im pretty sure thats what it was :) ....still confused about the outbreak after the sterilizer (within 24 hours)... never figure that one out. I've had the fish for 6 months, with no illnesses or issues. oooh well, Other than having to replace a loach, I'm really happy with the new equipment!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it's safe to say that blaming the sterilizer would be making an illusory correlation. Given the clarity issues you bought the UV for, the fish may have been already sick and it was just hard to notice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd have to disagree with you there, fish were fine for the first 12 hours the water was clear. I know it may be hard to believe, but it is possible to have a healthy tank with zero visibility. My phosphate reading in my tank is actually .4 lower than my tapwater, how's that for bio filtration :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts