The Planted Tank Forum banner
341 - 360 of 857 Posts

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Tex_Gal, your plants are so amazing, everyone wants some! And I can't blame them! You sent me some really wonderful plants. Not only did your plants really save my tank, but the plants you sent are awesome!

We'll have to team up with the Sao Paulo. Look at my post right above yours. I sent bsmith to you! :icon_lol:

I have an idea. You can do all the work of trimming, packing and shipping the plants while I'll take a cut of the action for my marketing abilities. Sound like a deal? ;)

I'm going to get my stand thicker, as well, but I'm sure we'll both have some to share pretty soon.

As far as the lotus having babies, mine already has some. I'm honestly not wanting a bunch of babies, but I won't cut the roots for any that's just starting out. I have some other babies from the lotus Ken sent me. The original lotus didn't make it, but it put out babies that are really small right now, but they're growing. Eventually, they'll be big enough for me to share with others.

BTW, I'm making a list of my plants like you have, and I'm wanting to keep track of who I got them from. The plants you sent me will always be on my list to give away as a care package when anyone is in the same spot I was in when you were so generous to share yours with me. It's my way of honoring your generosity by passing it forward. Your plants will always be special to me because of how and why I got them. :smile:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have an idea. You can do all the work of trimming, packing and shipping the plants while I'll take a cut of the action for my marketing abilities. Sound like a deal? ;) Sounds like a a true marketer to me!

I'm going to get my stand thicker, as well, but I'm sure we'll both have some to share pretty soon. I'm sure we will! Once your tank is set up again it will grow like gangbusters! It's one of my favorites too!

BTW, I'm making a list of my plants like you have, and I'm wanting to keep track of who I got them from. The plants you sent me will always be on my list to give away as a care package when anyone is in the same spot I was in when you were so generous to share yours with me. That's a nice idea. This is the way to do it- not foisted on us by the Gov. We are much better at distribution then the Gov. (Sorry, got a little carried away there! :icon_eek:) It's my way of honoring your generosity by passing it forward. Your plants will always be special to me because of how and why I got them. :smile: I loved that movie.

Thanks for the kind words. It's so true that if you "cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days it will come back to you." I can't tell you how good God is to me. Everytime I turn around He is blessing me again! :icon_mrgr

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
I can't tell you how good God is to me. Everytime I turn around He is blessing me again! :icon_mrgr
Maybe that's because you give so much. The more you give, the more you receive. :smile:

·
Registered
414 Posts
PICS! PICS! And more PICS! :hihi:

I figured I'd grab some final pics before the move. I got some FTS and pictures of each plant in the tank. I'm going to use the plant pictures to keep a list of the plants I have so I can remember all their names (Tex_Gal's idea).

Plus, I'm going to need some help in figuring out a better placement for the plants. I have too many crammed up together on one side with some shorter/smaller leafed plants being too far back and becoming swallowed. Not to mention that I have NO idea how to tame my Hygro 'sunset'. I think it wants to take over my entire tank!

Okay, FINALLY, the pictures:

Full tank shot:

Vicki,The tank is looking great!

Bhushan

·
Registered
928 Posts
Amazing tank! So colourful and everything is thriving.

Your polygonum "Sao Paulo" is so beautiful! How did you get it like that? Mines is like barely a purplish color lol.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Thanks you, both! :smile:

Harry, what I did as open the bag. Rinse the plants. Float them in the water while planting them. Wait. And now they're what you see.

I did nothing! It just happened. I can only attribute it to good ferts, CO2 and lights. I also have some root tabs in the substrate, but I don't know if that made any difference.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the light. While the other plants are really crowded, the Sao Paulo has lots of space for the light to reach all of its leaves. But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hey Vicki

Tank is looking great! My experience with hygro sunset is that it grows better in a low-tech tank. As soon as I started injecting CO2 mine lost all of the pink color and didn't grow as well either. When I was just dosing Excel along with EI it had a nice pink color and grew like mad. I broke down my tank and changed out the substrate with aqua soil about a month ago. I set up an old tank for my fish to stay in during the cycle and threw in whichever plants were not going to be planted in the new tank including my sunset hygro. Within a week of pretty much neglecting it, 4-5 hour photoperiods, no ferts, no excel, the tops of the sunset hygro turned dark reddish pink...much more intense color than I have ever gotten from this plant. Weird...

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. It seemed to me that the lower growth looked better than the top growth which is also what gets the most light, is right in front of the spray bar for my CO2 and is in the area where I dose my ferts. None of the growth had the color everyone talks about. In fact, it's a light pale green with a little pink color in the lower leaves.

This would have been the perfect plant for my 29g except I just ordered everything to make it high tech, but a notch down from my 75g.

But I am looking for something for my RCS tank which is definitely low tech. I'm not sure that tank has enough light, though, but I certainly can give it a try.

Thanks for the info! That really helps!

BTW, what a change from when I first came to this board when you gave me so much help! All that help paid off. It's taken me a little time, but I think I'm getting there. I still have your original PMs where you helped me so much. :smile:

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
Wow, thank you for the very nice compliment! But I think if you tried to read all of my posts, your fish and plants would all be dead by the time you got to the end! :icon_lol:

There's really not much to it. As long as you have the right equipment for the lights and CO2 and dose the ferts regularly, your tank should look just as good. The plants just grow themselves.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Thank you! I had help with the design. I created the driftwood idea and knew where I wanted it, and then Ingg did a design drawing for me when I finally got my rocks. I stuck to his design pretty much until I kept getting more plants. At that point, I just put them wherever I could.

I'll be breaking the entire tank down on Wednesday to have it moved to my house. When I put it back together, I'm going to try to do a better job with plant placement.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
Don't worry, all will go well. I'd hate to see you cry! :hihi:

I'll have the actual furniture movers move my smaller tanks (mostly empty except some plants) tomorrow so I can get them set up at my house. Then I'll tear down my 75g on Wednesday and move the fish and plants to those smaller tanks in my house. That way I won't have to worry about the fish. Each specific fish is assigned to a specific tank which spreads them around pretty good.

On Thursday, I'm having people from a LFS (Fish Ranch for those in my area) move my actual tank. I don't want general movers handling it. Also, Mike, the owner of the LFS will ensure that my tank is properly leveled at my house.

Once that's done, then it's just a matter of putting it all back together. Since I'm hoping to completely eradicate the last remnants of BBA in the tank, I'm going to be sterilizing all the equipment before reinstalling it. I already have lots of StartRight (the predecessor of Bio-Spira) ready to go to jump start the tank again.

I think I have it all planned out pretty good. But you never know. Things do happen sometimes. I'm really not looking forward to having to tear it all down on Wednesday, but I'm exciting about getting it in my house finally.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Can't wait to see what the new aquascape looks like!
Think you could aquascape my tank? :)
I'll use the same design, but with the plants placed better.

You don't want me to scape your tank. I'm scape challenged! Remember, I had help on this scape.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Things are looking good. The yellow leaves of Marselia are just the newer ones. Once they mature, you get the green color. If the old leaves are yellowing, then you have problems. Fertilizer tabs for this plant aren't necessary, water column dosing works just fine.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
Oh! I didn't realize they started out yellow. But now that I look at it, I can see it. I just figured any yellow leaf (among green ones) indicated something was missing. But if it doesn't need anything in the substrate, then I'll not worry about it. It's certainly getting enough ferts each day.

The only thing that I need to do that might help it some is to start dosing iron. I completely forgot to add iron yesterday, but I'll add some tomorrow. Otherwise, the rate of growth for it and for all my other plants confirms that they're happy with the ferts and CO2.

I've managed to inch the CO2 even higher. The pH controller has gone from 7.1 to 6.8 today! That's the first time I got it that low (meaning high CO2). The fish are doing great. So that means I have dropped the pH by 1.2 points (from my normal 8.0 pH) so I should have hit and even surpassed the 30ppm target. Bye-bye BBA! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
So that would explain why every time I see a nice marselia foreground, there are always flecks of yellow here and there! Thanks for the info, eyebeatbadgers.

Complexity, your tank is looking awesome!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
Thanks, Church! :smile:

I've noticed the yellow in other people's tanks, as well. I don't know that I'm all that crazy about the yellow, but it'll probably look good once it all fills in. Add some character to the carpet of green.

341 - 360 of 857 Posts