The Planted Tank Forum banner
321 - 340 of 857 Posts

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
you dont need to really plant it all at first. my suggestion would be just to plant in bushels and no hardscape until you have time to scape it. just get the stuff stuck in the gravel.
the plant will survive the move. wednesday evening to friday midmorning isnt too long. just get it out last and in first. if it were larger, you could toss it about and not worry, but since it was just recently damaged and recovering just now, it probably doesnt have big starch reserves, and needs to be treated gentle, or it wont have the energy to keep itself alive.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Good point, Tex_Gal. I'm honestly not so much stressed as I hate to lose a challenge. I love the idea of taking some stems that were barely alive and ending up with a beautiful plant! It's like a surprise. You really don't know what you'll have until it grows out!

Half of those red plants are from you! In fact, as I listed each plant, I think the most common word I used was your username! :hihi: Thanks for the compliment, too.

Marko, I'd really rather do a scape so I won't have to keep disturbing it. But I know that no matter what I do, I'll still move things around. Still, I hope to try to make it pretty.

My substrate isn't supposed to arrive until Friday so I won't be able to plant anything before then. I have a feeling I'll have a very busy weekend!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Your aquarium is gorgeous and stunning. The bright colors remind me of The Blue Ridge Mountains in the fall.

Not to mention that I have NO idea how to tame my Hygro 'sunset'.
I know how. I keep giving all of mine but one stem to my LFS. I found out right quickly why this is considered and invasive plant.:)

This is my Polygonum ‘Sao Paulo’. It was in my care package from Tex_Gal. It is so striking! The color is amazing on this one. It grows really nice, but not too fast to take over the tank. Definitely one of my favorites!
Wow! That is the prettiest red plant that I have ever seen.:smile:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
This is a tank that has to have close up pictures to do it justice! Just too many gorgeous plants to appreciate from afar. Very impressive Vicki. I think your mystery plant may be Ludwigia arcuata or brevipes. Palustris doesn't have needle leaves like that.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Thank you, both! I have to say I'm actually proud of this tank now. It's been a long jouney to get here, and I'm actually amazed at how it's taken off. I'm really going to hate tearing it all down this Wednesday.

Robert, the plant with the needles leaves is Ludwigia arcuata. That's not the mystery plant. It's the picture below the description, not above.

There are actually two I don't have identified. It's these two:

and

There are two different plants in both pictures. The one on the left side is easy to see, but the tall one on the right is a poor picture for identification.

I'm going to see if I can hunt down some names of plants that could give me the ID. I posted these when they were tiny, nearly dead cuttings, and at least one should be identified. I think I might have the other one identified from a SNS purchase, but it's going to be hard to find.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
I found my ID thread! The plant on the left side is: Ludwigia glandulosa

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
I've looked everywhere, and I cannot find an ID for the other plant. I have a feeling it was thrown in as an extra. I have no idea what this plant is. I'm going to have to get an ID on it.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
Whoo Hoo! I think I just found the ID on the second plant: Ammannia gracillis. I have no idea where I got it!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Very nice pictures here! I love the lotus! I want to get one again in my 75. Hopefully I can train it to stay short like that. The last one I had wanted to always grow to the top. Maybe Tex-gal can throw in some extras in my plant order with her right now...LOL :)

Also, the Polygonum ‘Sao Paulo’ is OH so great!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Wow Vicki, your tank looks AMAZING! I can't believe how much it's grown in so quickly!!! I can't wait to see how you 'scape it after the move, i'm sure it'll look stunning no matter what you do though with those gorgeous plants!!!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
helgymatt, to keep the lotus compact, trim the roots. Mine is growing like it is because I bought it from a display tank. It had long, long roots! I cut them down to about 3". Then I literally planted them on top of slate and held it down with rocks. The roots finally found their way beyond the slate and started growing into the substrate. I still have rocks holding it down though.

If mine starts putting out too many tall leaves, I intend to cut the roots again.

I don't know if Tex_Gal adds extras to her SNS deals, but it wouldn't surprise me if she did. She sent me the plants to help me out after I had lost power for a week after hurricane Ike. I had just scaped my tank, and most of my plants weren't even rooted when the power went out. I only lost one plant completely, it knocked the others back a bit. At this time, I was trying to switch to my bright lights (since many of my plants needed bright lighting), but I didn't have enough plant mass to fend off algae. On top of that, I was fighting BBA which came back with a vengance when the power came back on.

I was amazed at her generosity of the variety and number of plants she sent. Just her one care package got my tank on the right track!

If you want any extras, just ask her. If she can spare any, I'm sure she wouldn't mind tossing something in. She's just one of those really wonderful people who enjoys being kind and generous!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Thanks for the compliment, Karackle! I'm pretty amazed at their growth rate, as well. It's as if once they started growing, they really started growing! I've found myself looking at the tank from a distance and not believing what I see. My tank was always so empty before!

I'm not so sure on the scaping part. I'm planning on keeping the basic scape that I have, but I'm not sure how to arrange all the plants. The main scape plan came from Ingg (he's always been so helpful to me!). I'm truly scape challenged! From there, I just started putting plants wherever I could find room so they could grow. And, boy, did they grow!

It's just all the CO2, ferts and all that everyone recommends. I did throw in some fert tablets into the substrate for the heavy root feeders. That may have contributed. I'm just now beginning to dose iron, and I'm starting to dose a little extra ferts.

I'm finding that the less I mess with everything, the better it grows. Now I just have to figure out how to arrange all the plants and how to prune them so they'll look good.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous, Vicki! :thumbsup:

I'm so sorry you have to tear it down, but I guess looking at the silver lining it's an opportunity to try something new different! :)

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Nope, not different. Just better. This was my trial run. I did it specifically so I could have a second chance of rearranging things to fix anything I didn't like on the first try.

I am not a scaper. I love the plants and fish, but I have no imagination to create scapes. If Ingg didn't draw it out for me, I wouldn't have this. The only thing I can take credit for is the driftwood design. Even the lotus being at the base of the driftwood happened because it was too big for where I thought I'd put it, and that spot was the only place I had open! :icon_lol:

My next challenge is to scape my 29g. I'm getting a cabinet, more lighting and injected CO2 for it. And then I'll have to figure out how to scape it! Fun! Fun!

I created a quick stub for my 29g journal which has a picture of what I'm starting with on that tank. Let's just say... anyone want crypt wendtii 'bronze'? I have A LOT of it!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
helgymatt, to keep the lotus compact, trim the roots. Mine is growing like it is because I bought it from a display tank. It had long, long roots! I cut them down to about 3". Then I literally planted them on top of slate and held it down with rocks. The roots finally found their way beyond the slate and started growing into the substrate. I still have rocks holding it down though.
Is there a reason why you planted it on top of slate and not just plant in the substrate?
Matt

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
PICS! PICS! And more PICS! :hihi:

I figured I'd grab some final pics before the move. I got some FTS and pictures of each plant in the tank. I'm going to use the plant pictures to keep a list of the plants I have so I can remember all their names (Tex_Gal's idea).

Plus, I'm going to need some help in figuring out a better placement for the plants. I have too many crammed up together on one side with some shorter/smaller leafed plants being too far back and becoming swallowed. Not to mention that I have NO idea how to tame my Hygro 'sunset'. I think it wants to take over my entire tank!

Okay, FINALLY, the pictures:

Full tank shot:

ok... damn.. where have I been! that is awesome.. insanely good job with that tank. I am jealous. I tried to achieve something like that but couldn't do it. sad that you have to tear it down.

you CAN and SHOULD send those roselines here for safe keeping during the move. Mine will have some buddies! that would be huge school of them. I have about 15 or 16 of them!

again.. nice scape Vicki.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Is there a reason why you planted it on top of slate and not just plant in the substrate?
Matt
No. It's planted on top of the slate because I couldn't figure out where else to put it! :icon_lol:

When I bought it, it had a lot of nice, tall leaves. So I thought I'd put it amongst the rocks on the right side so it would be sticking up between them. But when I put it there, it was way too big!

Then hurricane Ike took out our power. Next thing I knew, the lotus had pulled up and was floating. I left it like that for a week.

So when I finally got power, the only place that made sense of where to plant it was in my focal point with the driftwood. But the driftwood is screwed into a piece of slate, and it had worked its way too far above the substrate so there wasn't really any substrate for the roots. Since I have a pleco that loves that spot, I grabbed some large, black river rocks to hold it in place.

And voila! What you see is what I got. :hihi:

I trimmed the roots because it's not practical to plant anything with 10" roots. I generally trim most roots during planting when they're very long. It's better for the plants.

When the lotus was pulled out of the show case, I noticed that the roots grew close to the surface and spread out rather than growing deep into the substrate. So I figured they'd do okay with the way I "planted" the lotus over the slate. And they did as they've grown beyond the slate and into the surrounding substrate.

When I move the tank, I will be able to cover the roots with actual substrate instead of just rocks. Even if the slate is too shallow, I can mound the substrate over the roots.

However, back to the concept of trimming the roots. I read that somewhere, can't remember where. But it makes sense. Cutting the roots forces the plant to spend energy regrowing the roots while simultaneously reducing the plant's ability to feed from the roots. Thus, the lotus doesn't spend energy on tall leaves or flowers.

When I get to the point that the lotus is trying to put out surface leaves and just gets too tall in general, I won't pull it up and cut the roots, but I can move the substrate to expose enough roots to clip them back. That should force the plants back into more limited growth. I'll know for sure once the lotus gets to that point in its growth cycle.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Ken, thanks for the great compliment! And for the so very kind and generous offer to help my torpedo barbs through the move. You are just too kind for words! :hihi:

I'd be happy to have you house my torpedo barbs. They'll make great friends with your 15, making them all one happy family. Of course, that means when I get mine back, they'll be so attached to yours, we'd have to move yours to my tank so none of them get into a fish depression from missing each other. But don't worry. I'll take really good care of them. I'm good with fish emotions. :tongue:

The tank it looking great. I really do pity you when it com time to tear it down for the move.

The polygonium Sao Paulo is amazing. Would you like to get rid od some?
Thanks! I'm really not looking forward to tearing it all down. :( But then I can rebuilt it back to look even better! :smile:

I'd love to share the P. Sao Paulo once mine gets overgrown. It's one of those plants that's so amazing, you just have to share!

I had put a complete moratorium on selling or even giving away anything from that tank until I felt reasonably certain all of the BBA is gone. The way things are going now, I think I'll have the BBA cleaned out and have some great trimmings for everyone once the plants recover from the move.

Also, keep an eye on Tex_Gal's SNS deals since that's where my P. Sao Paulo came from.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
VICKI!!!! People are asking me for plants!!! LOL!! (Have you every thought of going into marketing?...) Most want the Sao Paulo! Unfortunately I'm trying to get a thicker stand so I don't have any to part with right now! In a few weeks I'm sure I will, but not now.

BTW, another way to keep the lilly short is to just trim the leaves off as they get longer. It's like a dandelion. The plant will start growing shorter and shorter and stay that way for a while. I'm afraid if you keep trimming it's roots you'll never get baby plants. Here's a px of mine with a baby next to it. Look at the bottom stems. You can tell it's two plants.

321 - 340 of 857 Posts