The Planted Tank Forum banner
301 - 320 of 857 Posts

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
PICS! PICS! And more PICS! :hihi:

I figured I'd grab some final pics before the move. I got some FTS and pictures of each plant in the tank. I'm going to use the plant pictures to keep a list of the plants I have so I can remember all their names (Tex_Gal's idea).

Plus, I'm going to need some help in figuring out a better placement for the plants. I have too many crammed up together on one side with some shorter/smaller leafed plants being too far back and becoming swallowed. Not to mention that I have NO idea how to tame my Hygro 'sunset'. I think it wants to take over my entire tank!

Okay, FINALLY, the pictures:

Full tank shot:

On a step stool, looking down to see how the plants are placed in the tank.

Left side:

Middle:

Right side:

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 · (Edited)
Another full tank shot, a little from the side:

And one last straight on full tank shot. I am amazed at the plant growth!

These aren't in perfect order. This is a close-up of the far left side.

This is actually supposed to be a picture of my Crypt lucens, but my torpedo barbs felt rather photogenic at the moment. Not that I mind! :smile: Actually, I think they're begging me for food since I'm not feeding them much to make sure the SAEs eat the algae. Poor guys. I'll give them a frozen treat tomorrow.

I just noticed that one of my kribs got in the photo. Check the lower right of the picture. That's my prized male Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Kienke'.

These Crypts are the ones that have had the BBA. They're finally starting to clear up. I'll get rid of the rest for sure when I tear them out for the move.

My creeping Jenny (I'll have to look up the latin name — EDIT, it's Lysimachia nummularia). I received this as an extra in a plant swap. It took awhile for it to get going, but it seems pretty happy now! I like this plant. It's a very pretty leaf shape and color, and it doesn't grow too fast. It does get algae, but the fish like to clean it off.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 · (Edited)
My Crypt balanesae in the far back left corner. Please excuse the GDA all over the glass.

I'm going to have to find a different place for this plant because it's too close to the intake screen. The suction keeps grabbing it. Plus, I need to do a better job of balancing the two sides. Too many bushy plants on the right with none really on the left.

This is my Polygonum ‘Sao Paulo’. It was in my care package from Tex_Gal. It is so striking! The color is amazing on this one. It grows really nice, but not too fast to take over the tank. Definitely one of my favorites!

Hygro difformis variegated, again from the plants Tex_Gal sent me. Unfortunately, it's jammed in the back so I can't get a good picture of the variegated part. It's veins are white! This plant took off like a rocket the instant I planted it. But to my surprise, it's not taking over. It likes to be more like a bush which I really like.

This is a Bacopa that I received a long time ago as an extra in a SNS purchase. I'll have to look up which Bacopa it is now.

It almost didn't make it for a long time, but it's finally beginning to get some nice growth on it. I love the slight tinge of pink on the top leaves. I need to cut the tops off to get more stems so it's not so lonely in the tank.

EDIT: I believe this one is Bacopa caroliniana.

EDIT AGAIN: Nope, it's Bacopa colorata.

And my Red Tiger Lotus. The really bright pink growth has matured into the colors most normally found. The old, original tall leaves are gone. I like how it's filling in very busy rather than tall. I'd like to keep it like this!

Oh, and not only did my cardinal tetras decide to pose for this pic, but if you look at the lower left corner of the pic, you can see some of my kribs! These are my Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Kienke'. This picture does not do them justice!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 · (Edited)
This is one of the very first plants I ever bought! It's my Crypt wendtii 'bronze'. It grows like wild! The picture is terrible, unfortunately. I'm not sure what to do with this. I have three clumps of it in my 75g and a ton in my 20L. I'll probably need to sell some of this after I move. I just have too much.

This is a great plant that has grown incredibly well in both, my high-tech 75g and my low-tech 20L which has low/med light with no CO2 (not even excel) or ferts. This is a great plant for anyone, including beginners.

Another beautiful plant from Tex_Gal! This is Ludwigia arcuata. I have a lot more that you can't see in the picture. Tex_Gal sent me a huge number of stems! I'm finding it a little slower to take off, but it's getting there. I think part of its problem is that it's being swallowed by the wisteria. I'll definitely have to find a better place for it when I put my tank back together after the move.

I do not know what plant this is, but it is beautiful! I got this one a long, long time ago as an extra in another SNS purchase. I ended up floating it in my 20L for months to the point it almost all died out. I planted it, and this is what I got!

It's growth pattern reminds me of a Hydro. But, wow, the color. And the leaf form is absolute perfection. This is a definite favorite of mine!

I had asked for IDs for some of my plants a long time ago, and this one might have been identified. I'll have to find the old thread to see.

BTW, notice all the small leaves at each node. The minute I cut this one, it's going to explode with bushier growth! I'm looking forward to offering this one to others in the SNS forum. I think a lot of people will enjoy it.

EDIT: Found my ID thread... this plant is Ludwigia glandulosa.

My Blyxa japonica, once more from Tex_Gal (I think most of my tank came from her!). I had a whole bunch that I was given as extras in a SWS purchase, but I didn't do very well with them. Once I started to get them to grow better, hurricane Ike came along and took out my power. Only nubs were left, and the fish liked pulling them up (nibbling on the soft tissue at the ends of the leaves). ALL of my original Blyxa died.

When Tex_Gal sent me these stems, I did better at giving them what they needed (more light!). I also weighed some down so the fish couldn't keep pulling them up while they weren't yet rooted. Finally, that worked.

Slow growing for me which I like. They're getting shaded too much now. I want to pull them forward more when I replant my tank after the move.

My Marselia minuta ground cover. It's filling in, slowly but surely. Not sure how to avoid the yellow leaves. I think I'll give it some fert tabs to see if that helps. I am NOT looking forward to pulling it all up and replanting it after the move. But I have to do what I have to do.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 · (Edited)
These two plants are not the same! When they were tiny, almost dead cuttings, I asked for IDs, and we thought they were the same. But it's clear they are not.

The plant to focus on is the taller one on the right side. I'm not sure if I have an ID on this one; I'll have to check the names I was given in my ID thread to see if it matches.

This plant has a much thicker and stiffer main stem. In fact, I kept having problems with the leaves looking poorly when I finally realized that it did not lay over when I did water changes. So whenever I worked on the tank with only 50% of the water in it, this poor plant was sticking up, out of the water the whole time!

It also has a gorgeous color, as you can see. I need to move it where it can have some real space and then propagate it so I don't have just the one.

It's so tall now that I have to give it a "tin foil hat" when I do a water change to protect it from the lights while it's not covered with water.

EDIT: I think this plant is Ammannia gracillis. I have no idea where I got it! It must have been an extra in one of my SNS deals.

My Giant Baby Tears from who else... Tex_Gal! I love this plant! Again, really nice contrast in leaf shape, color and size from the others. It's growing like a weed, and is being completely swallowed up by the other plants. I'll have to find a better place for it when I rescape my tank after the move.

This has to be one of my big favorites. This is Limnophila hippuroides that I just got from a SNS purchase. Amazing plant! I've read that it will do well in medium light so I hope to grow this in my 29g after the move. I adore the color!

This is a plant I would definitely recommend for the beginner that's beginning to branch out beyond the basics (no pun intended!). It rooted and started growing almost immediately. And you can't beat the color!

I have a LOT of this which I will be able to share with others in the SNS forum soon, I hope.

My Hygro 'sunset' which is taking over my entire tank, but isn't too happy for some reason. I'm actually wondering if it's getting too much light!

It's not giving me the colors it's supposed to, and some of the leaves are curling up on the sides. Not sure what's wrong.

I've had to trim this monster back once already, and I obviously need to trim it again. I'm not sure what form to grow this one, but I think however I grow it, I'll have to give it lots of room and be prepared to trim it A LOT.

This picture shows an example of the leaf curling I mentioned above. When the curled up sides are illuminated by the lights, it looks white!

I'd like to know what's causing this poor growth so I can figure out how to fix it.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
The last set of pictures!

This is regular wisteria that I received as an extra. I ran out of places to put plants so I tucked it in between some rocks for now. I think this one might do well in my 29g once I get it set up. Another very pretty plant with nice contrasting leaves and a bright color. The picture does not do it justice at all.

Another Bacopa, but I can't remember which one. I'll have to look it up again.

EDIT: This one is Bacopa monnieri.

Poor thing is stretching to get light. It's growing pretty fast for me. I've already trimmed it twice, planting the trimmings so now I have a nice patch of it. It's reached the top of the water so I'll have to trim it after the move. I'll also have to find it a better place so it won't have to reach for the light.

A generally nice plant, easy to care for, offering a nice vertical line as contrast to the other plants.

Pagostemon stellatus. I got a lot of very healthy clippings from a SNS purchase from Ingg. But I didn't give it enough light so they didn't do so well. When I lost power from the hurricane, they were all but dead.

Tex_Gal shared some of hers with me, and those took off like a rocket! In fact, I had to trim them because they grew so fast.

Unfortunately, they're now being taken over by the hygro 'sunset' so they're stretching to get light. I'll fix that when I move the tank.

The original stems I got from Ingg finally sprouted new growth, and as best I can tell (it's a real jungle in there), those stems survived. I'll cut off the good growth and replant it.

A definite favorite of mine, but it has to have bright light to do well.

This was an extra from a SNS purchase. The seller couldn't grow it so she sent it to me. I lost my rotala 'vietnam' from the power outage after the hurricane. I'm not sure which rotala this is, but it could be more 'vietnam'? Just tiny buds are growing now, but they are growing! I just hope it doesn't die during the move.

And one final picture. One of my SAEs was giving me the eye while I was taking pictures so I snapped one of him. I have 10 of these babies in the tank which is really helping keep the algae at bay.

I must have looked for true SAEs for about a year before I finally found them. I plan to move 3-4 to my 29g later, keeping 6-7 in the 75g. They're going to be lots of fun to catch for the move!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Wow, great idea! You gave me some great Ideas for plants in my tank. BTW what is your wpg?
Thanks, Mike! I have a TEK 4x54w fixture with two Giesemann 11000K Aquablue Plus and two 6000K Midday Sun bulbs. I now run all 4 bulbs for 7 hours a day. Still trying to figure out the right photo period, but 7 hours seems to be working well right now.

So that gives me 2.88wpg. But also keep in mind that the TEK reflectors are incredible so more light gets into the tank than most fixtures.

The unidentified plant in the 1st group of pictures looks kinda like my Ludwegia palustris.

The tank looks AWESOME! It's beautiful!
Thanks for the compliment!

I looked through google images, and while I won't rule it out, I don't think that plant is Ludwigia palustris. The leaves are shaped different. The leaves on my plant are a very gentle almond shape with a nice point on the end. The pictures of Ludwigia palustris seemed to have more rounded leaves.

Also, the color on my plant is only at the top with the new growth and not on the older leaves.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
your tank is amazing. such deep dark vivid intense colors.
it looks stunning.
i love the lotus. and the stems.
your reds are so red they are purple, im very impressed.

oh and i love the SAE. great fish.

i think that rotala might be a wallichi? it looks to red to vietnam.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
The only reason my SAEs are eating is because they're still young and I have not been feeding them. When I do feed my other fish, I feed just a little. I've intentionally wanted to keep the SAEs eating algae.

Eventually, they'll stop eating it, but by then, I'm hoping to have figured out how to balance the lights and all so I won't have as much algae. I'm already beginning to see a lot of improvement since I dropped my photo period down to 7 hours.

After they get old and lazy, they'll just be another group of pretty fish in the tank. :smile:

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Thanks, Marko! I just hope the rotala makes the move. After losing the 'vietnam' I had, I have the impression they are very sensitive plants when they don't get the light, ferts and CO2 (not sure which they need most). I'll have to float this one in my tank as soon as I get it set up so it won't be in a low-tech setting for too long.

If it makes it, then I should get enough growth to get a good ID on it.

Some of the reds in the pictures seem to be a little bit more saturated than they are in real life. I had to lower the exposure to prevent the lights from clipping off too much detail which causes the background to look very black. That creates a higher contrast with the reds so they stand out more. In real life, the background isn't so dark looking due to the lights so the reds aren't quiet as brilliant appearing.

The main reason why I decided to go to the expense and trouble of a high tech tank is because I adore red with plants. And I have to say I could not be more pleased with how the reds are coming out! Now I just have to learn how to better position the plants so the reds can contrast more with the greens.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
rotalas IMO need to be given good condition to live and grow in a tank, but cope just fine with lapses in it, so long as the lapses are not too frequently occuring. they will do just fine for a day or two during the move, and they can do fine for a week or so in suboptimal conditions (though they may algaefy).

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
I would love it if some of my SAEs continued to eat algae. Not only for the sake of controlling algae, but they're so cute when they nibble on it. Their whole bodies get into the action, wiggling as they go!

When I first got the SAEs, they schooled quite a bit. But now that there's so much more plant growth, they seem to be scattered all over the tank, eating their little wiggly hearts out! They'll even nibble on the GDA on the glass!

The main reason I'm so worried about the rotala is because it's in such poor condition already. The nub that's photographed is about 3/4" long. Some are only 1/2" long. I cut the tops off (hoping at least they'd root), and they appear to be doing okay, but they haven't taken off yet. I wish they had more time to recover before the move, but there's nothing I can do.

I don't know how long it'll take me to get the tank set up and planted since I have so many things to do for the move. I'll rip it up on Wednesday, it gets physically moved on Thursday, and I'd love to get it set up on Friday/Saturday. Then I can put my fish back in.

I don't like the actual act of planting plants so I'm not the fastest at doing it. Plus, I'm not sure where to put them all! I have to figure out how to move them so they'll each get the light they need while still looking good in the tank. This is the first time I've had any real plant growth to work with.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Vicki- your tank looks amazing!! I love it. I love all the reds. I think your algae problem is pretty much licked! Sorry you have to move it all but I know you'll have fun creating all over again.

I used to stress over loosing this plant or that one but I don't anymore. Only the really really rare one would bother me to loose. Most of the time you'll see them appear again on in the SNS, or maybe friends in the aquatic club will have it. I also think there are so many out there that I like I can't use them all anyway.. so why stress.

301 - 320 of 857 Posts