The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
When my kribs spawned they took over 1/2 of my 125g. They kept all the other fish (which were many!) all the way to the other side. Can't imagine fitting 3 breeding pair into a 75g. Oh my, I think I hear someone saying, "I NEED ANOTHER TANK!!" ! :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Once mine spawned, one of the fish stayed in the cave most of the time. Once in a while I would see them both out. Their guarding got much more vigilant when their eggs were present. Then when the eggs hatched they would bring them out to eat and put them back at night.

I bet you have eggs if they are being that aggressive already. Wait a few days. It's doesn't take them that long to hatch. You'll know soon enough. :D CONGRATS!!!!

BTW I love the color of the ones you have. If you do have a spawn I may have to meet up with you a buy a couple off of you!! (Can't believe I just said that - may have to put up another tank, OH MY!!! :icon_eek:)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Very cool how you have hung your light. So how are your lights hanging when the canopy is closed? Are they just up against the top of the wood?

Surely some of those hinges on your link will work. It reminds me of the ones that hold up the SUV tailgates. I'm sure some can take quite a bit of weight.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Your tank is really looking nice! I love the lilly in front of the DW. It almost looks like a bloom from the DW. It all looks nice! ... and I don't see ANY algae! :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Vicki- your tank looks amazing!! I love it. I love all the reds. I think your algae problem is pretty much licked! Sorry you have to move it all but I know you'll have fun creating all over again.

I used to stress over loosing this plant or that one but I don't anymore. Only the really really rare one would bother me to loose. Most of the time you'll see them appear again on in the SNS, or maybe friends in the aquatic club will have it. I also think there are so many out there that I like I can't use them all anyway.. so why stress.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
VICKI!!!! People are asking me for plants!!! LOL!! (Have you every thought of going into marketing?...) Most want the Sao Paulo! Unfortunately I'm trying to get a thicker stand so I don't have any to part with right now! In a few weeks I'm sure I will, but not now.

BTW, another way to keep the lilly short is to just trim the leaves off as they get longer. It's like a dandelion. The plant will start growing shorter and shorter and stay that way for a while. I'm afraid if you keep trimming it's roots you'll never get baby plants. Here's a px of mine with a baby next to it. Look at the bottom stems. You can tell it's two plants.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have an idea. You can do all the work of trimming, packing and shipping the plants while I'll take a cut of the action for my marketing abilities. Sound like a deal? ;) Sounds like a a true marketer to me!

I'm going to get my stand thicker, as well, but I'm sure we'll both have some to share pretty soon. I'm sure we will! Once your tank is set up again it will grow like gangbusters! It's one of my favorites too!

BTW, I'm making a list of my plants like you have, and I'm wanting to keep track of who I got them from. The plants you sent me will always be on my list to give away as a care package when anyone is in the same spot I was in when you were so generous to share yours with me. That's a nice idea. This is the way to do it- not foisted on us by the Gov. We are much better at distribution then the Gov. (Sorry, got a little carried away there! :icon_eek:) It's my way of honoring your generosity by passing it forward. Your plants will always be special to me because of how and why I got them. :smile: I loved that movie.

Thanks for the kind words. It's so true that if you "cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days it will come back to you." I can't tell you how good God is to me. Everytime I turn around He is blessing me again! :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So sorry Vicki. Don't worry they will be alright! Your plants will fare fine too! Besides, what difference does it make - You have to move!!!! Deep breaths my friend! :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Vicki your tank is beautiful! You have recovered nicely from the move. About your Crypt balansae, don't get rid of it. Just take sizzors and trim off the leave to the height you want. It will continue putting out new leaves, so that you will not have all blunt ends. You will be able to have it in your tank and it will still look pretty. That's what I do. I like this plant better than the vals.

I love the L. Glandulosa. I'm working on growing a stand of it myself. It's really a beautiful plant. I never thought of doing what you're doing. You are a smart cookie!!

Selling the plants will be fun, but it's certainly not a way to make money. It's so time consuming that it doesn't pay. I do it because I like sharing with others and can't bare to throw them away. I love it when the people who get the plants fall in love with them like I do. I love to see them in other's tanks! :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Biscuitslayer - so cool to be helping out others. That's why I sell. My husband says I'm spending my life in many hours boxing up and such with little reward. I tell him that I enjoy helping people get the plants I love. I always try to charge less than most or at least what I think is fair. I've found that when I give plants away there are usually some that don't take care of them and appreicate them. (with the exception of some that I know love them like I do :D). As Vicki will find - it's not about the money. It just takes too long to do.

Vicki - thanks so much for saying that about my collectoritis. I feel guilty about it a lot. I just can't give up all the plants. I love their differences too much. Thanks for the encouragement. I know my style is not the "norm" or the recommended. I'm trying to appreciate my "differences. LOL

I've been waiting to hear if you kept your Crypt balansae. You didn't say... Can't wait to see what you did with your rescape! :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My ears are itching... I think someone's talking about me! I think you guys are great too. That's why I spend so much time on these forums. Where can you talk to people who love this hobby as much as you do?!! WE are all addicted! At least it doesn't affect our health... well... maybe the late night computing isn't great! ;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My favorite tank of yours was before you moved too. It looked so good. I don't think we'll ever be really finished. There is always that new plant, that too big plant, that stupid dead/dying plant... That's what makes it all so much fun. It's like dressing with separates, how many outfits can you create with the same clothes! :D

Vicki, thanks for the kind words, but all you have to do it look back in my threads and see that I do trial and error just like you do. lol :D

...and isn't that vetavitavegamin? hehehe!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts