The Planted Tank Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Pull all of it out except a small patch. Then do your H2O2 treatment as you normally would. Wait a couple of days to see how the java moss handled it. If it died, well, it was just a small amount. If it's okay, then you should be fine.

I know for sure that H2O2 kills riccia. But I'm honestly not sure about java moss.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
i reccomend you get your CO2 in order, and then make sure you dose enough of everything. that should clear up the BBA (along with excel and H2O2). clado is supposed to be hard to get rid of (never had it myself), but if your plants are healthy, algae eaters or manual removal should eventually get rid of it as less and less new spores form and germinate.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks Marko and Ken! I was just thinking that this tank could be used to show how to get rid of BBA? Unfortunately, last week I cleaned off the intake screens and spray bars so they don't show how bad it really was. But that driftwood tells no lies! The BBA and Clado both love it!

I'm not going to make any promises, but if I have enough time, I'll see if I can snap some pictures of the progress of getting rid of the BBA once I finally start to tackle that project. Might be interesting for others to see so they can feel hopeful if their tank breaks out with a lot of BBA.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I know! I know! I know! :icon_lol:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Has the battle begun? Are you winning? I hope so! And if you haven't started, good luck! I am sorry to hear that part came in faulty and you got no response from the seller, how frustrating! I hope you get it squared away.

Those pygmies are ADORABLE! I have 6 in my tank and I want to get more so that hopefully they don't hide in the corner any more. Aren't they just the cutest little things though? I don't see them much unless i'm looking for them, but i think they're my favorite fish in the 30.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Complexity - you are so smart. The H2o2 killed my clado quickly. How is your tank coming along? I would like updates, please. :)

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I finally installed my new electrode for the pH controller, and that solved my CO2 issues. Now I'm getting some red color in my plants and pearling! This is the first time I've seen those plants pearl!

Unfortunately, my pygmy cories have been dying. I have no idea why. Just one after the other.

This is my 3rd time to get some and this time it was from another source, and they are still dying. So I've given up. No more pygmy cories for me.

I'll have to catch up some pics for this tank to show you the algae. It's really bad. My driftwood is completely covered in a mix of BBA and Clado. Clado is on the gravel and BBA on the rocks and some plants. I didn't even bother to mess with any of it until I could get my CO2 issues resolved. I'm considering a full tank breakdown, it's so bad.

I'm actually not that upset because this tank just has not received the attention it needs to do as well as I'd like. I mainly needed to get things balanced. Now I can actually begin working on the plants and scape.

I'm thinking I might try a different driftwood design. I liked this one, but it's too much like my 75g. I'd like something different. And with the driftwood so badly covered in algae, it might be best to change the wood anyway.

Pics when I can get to them. Not sure when, but hopefully either this weekend or next week.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Glad to hear you got the electrode in place and have some pearling!

It does sound like the algae got a good foothold and breaking down the tank might not be a bad idea, and given that you aren't super happy with the hard scape anyway, it sounds like you have a new project on the way! :hihi:

I am sorry to hear about the pygmy cories though! Gosh I feel lucky about mine then! I lost some in my 5.5g when i had a tank crash and i lost a few in QT before they went in my 30g, but the 6 I put in my 30g when i started it up are doing well...I was REALLY careful about the QT and then drip acclimating them to the new tank because i'd lost some before, but I imagine you're careful with those things too. Maybe once the tank is happy and balanced it might be worth trying them again, they are so darn cute! :) But I also understand the frustration! I actually went to look for more the other day but the place I usually get them was out. Alas.

Can't wait to see the new direction this tank takes! :)

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
The tank is stable other than the algae. I've wondered if it's possible eating the BBA and/or Clado could have caused them harm? But I have loaches and ottos in the tank with the algae, and they're happy. Even the guppies nibble on the algae from time to time. So I don't know.

I drip irrigated, but maybe not long enough. The ones I had earlier were in my 5g tanks, and they lasted several months with one dying here and there so that they were all gone in about a year. But these are just dying. Maybe the CO2 is an issue? Or just not being acclimated to the CO2? I have no idea. But that's the last time I'll try them. They just don't do well for me.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Hmm...well then, no, it does not sound like they do well for you at all and I'm out of other ideas. Strange. I'm sorry! Perhaps something in the water. Alas, some things just don't work in our tanks and it's almost always weird. I can't grow a silly Java fern for the life of me. Go figure.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I finally installed my new electrode for the pH controller, and that solved my CO2 issues. Now I'm getting some red color in my plants and pearling! This is the first time I've seen those plants pearl!

Unfortunately, my pygmy cories have been dying. I have no idea why. Just one after the other.

This is my 3rd time to get some and this time it was from another source, and they are still dying. So I've given up. No more pygmy cories for me.

I'll have to catch up some pics for this tank to show you the algae. It's really bad. My driftwood is completely covered in a mix of BBA and Clado. Clado is on the gravel and BBA on the rocks and some plants. I didn't even bother to mess with any of it until I could get my CO2 issues resolved. I'm considering a full tank breakdown, it's so bad.

I'm actually not that upset because this tank just has not received the attention it needs to do as well as I'd like. I mainly needed to get things balanced. Now I can actually begin working on the plants and scape.

I'm thinking I might try a different driftwood design. I liked this one, but it's too much like my 75g. I'd like something different. And with the driftwood so badly covered in algae, it might be best to change the wood anyway.

Pics when I can get to them. Not sure when, but hopefully either this weekend or next week.
Yeah about the electrode and pH controller. I am always happy to see red plants get really red. Mine never make it, alas.... Sorry about the pygmy cories. I hear they are really tough fish to keep. I couldn't keep them alive either. It's a shame, they are such pretty cories. Looking forward to the pictures. :)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the BBA too much, my tank has it on the filter intake/outlet and on the driftwood too but I know I'll look up one day and it will be gone and it's just unfortunate I don't know what the water parameters are the make disappear, but I've had it before then will go years without it.

I notice that all Oto's have the same little quirk about pointing to the left.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Now that's one fat and happy oto! What a great pic! :biggrin: Never noticed the pointing before. I'll have to watch my otos to see if they point like that, too.

Oh, wow, talk about not updating a journal! The BBA is long gone in this tank. It's been very stable for years now. I changed it to a low tech tank when I got busy with school, and I have no plans to change it back now. I robbed the CO2 stuff from this tank to use on my 90g tank.

I'm looking at getting a new camera, and as soon as I pick one out and get it, I'll update this with new pics.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Now that's one fat and happy oto! What a great pic! :biggrin: Never noticed the pointing before. I'll have to watch my otos to see if they point like that, too.
Heeheehee that IS a fat happy oto!!! love it!

I'm looking at getting a new camera, and as soon as I pick one out and get it, I'll update this with new pics.
Can't wait to see the pictures!!! :biggrin:

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Maybe I'll drag my old camera out to see if it can still take a halfway decent pic. I'm dragging my feet on getting a new camera. There are too many cameras out there!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Hey, at least you can't say I didn't give you anything! :icon_lol:

I'm actually not much of a picture taker so I don't really have a lot of pics. I usually only take them for a particular purpose. Since I haven't posted anything about my tanks for a long time, I didn't take any pics of them during that time. I have pics of my old cichlid tank, but that's of no interest now.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if my old camera still works.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts