The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Hey Vicki, I love all the colors in this tank too! I can't wait to see it "grow" into a 29 ;)

How is that project coming? Has it started or are you still getting the 75 settled?

Can't wait to see this stub turn into a journal! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sounds good! Does the fact that you pulled the injected CO2 from the 75 mean you are no longer dosing CO2 in that tank? Or am i misunderstanding?

I definitely agree that it is really fun to see before and after pictures, I look forward to seeing them for this tank once you get the rest of your equipment together, or rather once it comes i! :)

It does look to me like you have more of a 'red' than a 'bronze' crypt forest in there, crypts grow really well for me too! Do you know what the K rating on that light is? I have some crypts that are supposed to be red, and looked quite red in the store, but once I got them in my tank, the really washed out so I'm wondering what K rating you are using, I'm thinking that is my problem. They look beautiful and healthy, I might have to keep my eye on the SnS for some as a red/bronze comparison :tongue:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sounds pretty good! It must be the 10k bulb, I'll have to see what I can find for that, I really want to bring out my reds more in all tanks. Thanks for the input!

I can't wait to see the 29 once it gets started! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Hmmm it could definitely have to do with the light shining through the leaves, but mine don't show up red even in pictures. Perhaps I am not using a good setting on my camera? I'd love to plant a very bold red but it would never make it in my tanks! And before you say it, I don't have the $$ or time at the moment to go high-tech :tongue: I planted the sunset hygro in my 5.5 and 30g tanks, it and the 'rosanervig' i already had in both tanks have really bright pink leaves on the tops of the stems. I still have more that I want to try in the 20, I'll be curious to see how the pink looks in there compared to the other tanks.

I know you're excited about starting this tank so I'll be waiting (as patiently as I can) for pictures of the progress! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sounds great! Can't wait to see the setup progress pictures!

What is eggrate and what purpose does it serve if you don't mind my asking? I assume you don't mean the cardboard or foam mattress pad kind so you got me curious! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Oh Vicki it looks fantastic! I think that will look stunning when planted! Thanks for letting me know what eggcrate is and why it's used, I don't use many rocks, but it's good to know for the future! The one large rock I do have in the 30 makes me slightly nervous, i might think about getting some eggcrate when I move the tank. :)

Also on a bit of a sidenote, I really like the color of your tank stand :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Wow Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about all of your troubles! And especially the fish losses, it's always hard.

But you are also right that it's a learning experience, we've all made mistakes and learned from them, it's just a part of this hobby unfortunately. I'm glad you see it as a learning experience and are willing to move forward and not give up though, because I bet this tank will be stunning when it's done! :)

I really can't wait to see updated pictures! It sounds like things are finally starting to pull together which is good to hear! :)

Also, let me know if you want any Endler or hybrid females, I'd be more than willing to pass on my guppy female to you as well :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Oh Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about the issues! I am glad you are taking such a positive attitude about the whole thing though...I think we'd all go nuts if we didn't take a positive approach to our tank issues though! Good luck with the eradication! :biggrin:

Can't wait to see the pics either way, been looking forward to seeing how the wood fit into the finished product! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Well I don't know much about CO2, but I do know it drops the pH, so I would assume you are right if it isn't registering a change now that there is no CO2.

Sounds like you'll get the tank into good shape in no time, and I'm sure knowing how to kill the BBA now definitely helps with sanity, calmness, and of course, getting the tank looking beautiful quickly! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Has the battle begun? Are you winning? I hope so! And if you haven't started, good luck! I am sorry to hear that part came in faulty and you got no response from the seller, how frustrating! I hope you get it squared away.

Those pygmies are ADORABLE! I have 6 in my tank and I want to get more so that hopefully they don't hide in the corner any more. Aren't they just the cutest little things though? I don't see them much unless i'm looking for them, but i think they're my favorite fish in the 30.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Glad to hear you got the electrode in place and have some pearling!

It does sound like the algae got a good foothold and breaking down the tank might not be a bad idea, and given that you aren't super happy with the hard scape anyway, it sounds like you have a new project on the way! :hihi:

I am sorry to hear about the pygmy cories though! Gosh I feel lucky about mine then! I lost some in my 5.5g when i had a tank crash and i lost a few in QT before they went in my 30g, but the 6 I put in my 30g when i started it up are doing well...I was REALLY careful about the QT and then drip acclimating them to the new tank because i'd lost some before, but I imagine you're careful with those things too. Maybe once the tank is happy and balanced it might be worth trying them again, they are so darn cute! :) But I also understand the frustration! I actually went to look for more the other day but the place I usually get them was out. Alas.

Can't wait to see the new direction this tank takes! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Hmm...well then, no, it does not sound like they do well for you at all and I'm out of other ideas. Strange. I'm sorry! Perhaps something in the water. Alas, some things just don't work in our tanks and it's almost always weird. I can't grow a silly Java fern for the life of me. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Now that's one fat and happy oto! What a great pic! :biggrin: Never noticed the pointing before. I'll have to watch my otos to see if they point like that, too.
Heeheehee that IS a fat happy oto!!! love it!

I'm looking at getting a new camera, and as soon as I pick one out and get it, I'll update this with new pics.
Can't wait to see the pictures!!! :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts