The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy everyone! My girlfriend thought I should try to find some online communities since she's tired of being bugged about and bugging me about "the tank with no fish".

I'm from Orange County, CA.

Always been super interested in marine life, love visiting aquariums and used to turn on the television only to watch the fish tank for hours.

So, completely new to the hobby of natural plants! However not new to the idea of just fish; I've had and maintained a couple 30 gallons, a 55 gallon, and a ~200 gallon tank. However these all were kept with fake plants and non natural decorations. They were fun but I'm looking for something more natural for the condo.

This would be my tank with actual plants and I'm looking to get the most of it.

Unsure of what plants are in it currently as they're adopted from a buddies 30 gallon that he's just about finished getting rid of.

The "log" in front is a fake one from one of my old 30s and is just a space placeholder until my driftwood gets here.

The tank setup so far:
Tank: 10 Gallon (22" W X 14" H X 12" D)
Filter: 2x Tetra Whisper EX20
Media: Fluval BioMax Ceramic Rings
Media: Coarse Foam
Heater: Aqueon 10" 100 Watts
Lighting: Marineland 18" 6000K LED
Substrate: Flora Max
Chemicals: Flourish 6x/week, Liquid CO2/Carbon 6x/week, Potassium 2x/week, Iron 2x/week

So far there's some obvious problems.

There's that plant that has some yellow edging around the tips of the leaves moving inward; I've been dosing the Potassium and Iron to try to combat the deficiency.

To the right of that plant is a melting plant.

I had a marimo moss ball that was on the log for a day and started turning brown on the edges; I've spread it apart and moved it to the right edge of the tank in the shade.

All these problems are occurring in the center of the tank. I think it may have to do with the lighting being way too high, I'm going to look for some T8 bulb this weekend at the surrounding LFS to try to lower the light levels. If I can't find that then I'll move the light maybe 6" above the hood.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Hi Noxxm,

Welcome to TPT!

That's a nice tank you have going there! The yellowing could be a potassium deficiency or possibly nitrogen. The light does look strong, is it a T5 fixture? If so, a T8 bulb will not fit, the pins on the end are wider apart on a T8. You might try shortening your photoperiod and see if that improves the situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Noxxm,

Welcome to TPT!

That's a nice tank you have going there! The yellowing could be a potassium deficiency or possibly nitrogen. The light does look strong, is it a T5 fixture? If so, a T8 bulb will not fit, the pins on the end are wider apart on a T8. You might try shortening your photoperiod and see if that improves the situation.
Thank you! Sorry for the long time between responses as well!

It's neither a T5 or T8 fixture; it's some high lumen fixture from a petsmart.

To help out the yellowing and melting plants I ended up dosing potassium as well as starting a 2-day Flourish and 3-day Excel/Trace alternating regimen of weekday dosing with no additives on weekends besides a 40% water change. I also shortened the photo-period to 6 hours a day. The plants exploded in response to this and some of the bulbs have started to take over the tank including one that is starting to flower strangely enough.

I also started cycling a Spec 3 I picked up from my LFS for 10$ (no light or lid).

However, I ended up creating both a heavy bacterial bloom (fish didn't seem to mind) and a thick film on top of the water. I tried more rapid water changes but that did nothing. I ended up taking one of my filter's bags of ceramic rings out, putting it into the Spec 3 (along with two bags of Purigen and coarse foam to be ready), and replacing it with activated carbon. On top of this I stopped dosing anything for a week. This quickly fixed everything and the water went back to crystal clear. Once that was done I removed both filters' media and replaced everything with what was ready from the Spec 3.

After all that the tank is doing fantastic! The plants are back to quickly growing, the fish seem happy, and the shrimp and snails are out in full force during the night (as evidence from the constantly clean moss balls and squiggly trails on the glass).

I'll post some pictures of where it stands later!

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Hi Noxxm,

I can tell from the reflections in the water that your fixture is an LED type....nice.

To help out the yellowing and melting plants I ended up dosing potassium as well as starting a 2-day Flourish and 3-day Excel/Trace alternating regimen of weekday dosing with no additives on weekends besides a 40% water change. I also shortened the photo-period to 6 hours a day. The plants exploded in response to this and some of the bulbs have started to take over the tank including one that is starting to flower strangely enough.
Glad to hear your plants are responding; their needs are pretty basic - light and nutrients (fertilizer and carbon source).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank has evolved!

Bought a ~15 Gallon Aqua Japan rimless tank, SunSun HW-303b Canister, and the Finnex Planted+ 24/7.

The edges need a bit of cleaning already but every plant and every fish seems to be settling in well.

Since this is going to keep changing over time I'm going to keep this updated in a Journal and not clogging up this board with inappropriate posts! Thanks for looking!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.