The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As a brief intro, I kept planted tanks about 15-10 years ago and then moved to reef tanks. I'm, currently moving to DC from ATL and am selling my 120 reef with APEX, radions, mp40s - the whole nine yards. I'm looking to setup a high-tech planted tank somewhere around 60 gallons when I get to DC. Cost isn't really an issue and I'm considering making it a planted discus tank.

I'm looking for recommendations regarding lighting, substrate, filtration, co2, where to buy plants/fish/hardscape online - pretty much everything and would appreciate as specific of advice as possible. I would also like to know what you would recommend keeping from my current reef setup. The only thing I'm thinking now is a vortech mp10. I'd like to go as clean as possible in the tank so I'm thinking an in-line UV and co2 diffuser is best.

I used to use aquariumplants.com but I've been out of the hobby for years and am really looking to compile a nice setup that will be a growing machine.

One specific question that comes to mine is should I keep my RO/DI unit or just use de-chlorinated tap water for water changes?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK... let's try this: I'll start with two questions:

1. Is it worth it to use an APEX on a planted tank (~60 gallons)? I image it would control the light and the co2.
2. Do you use RO/DI water? I'm thinking of creating a planted discus tank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I can't be much help, because I'm a way, way low-tech guy myself. I don't do cO2, Apex controllers, etc. I just have easy plants and my LED lights on a basic timer. I also only buy fish locally.

I don't know that you need to keep anything from your marine tank. That mp10 could provide some nice flow, but I don't think you'd want that in a discus tank. (But I'm not a discus keeper.) I had a wavemaker in my freshwater, native stream tank, and it was awesome. Some fish would like that movement.

I just used treated tapwater, and I'd guess that most of us do unless we're keeping super sensitive fish.

I just started my first reef tank last year, and I'd say that if you're moving from the salt side to the fresh side, you're moving in a less complicated, less technical direction.

Good luck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would recommend testing the water at your new place before I would decide wither to use R/O water. I use R/O water because my water is like liquid rock.

I'm low tech too. But do use an uv sterilizer mostly for parasite control. As far as the apex that's more of a decision of how much hands on you want to do. For me I like to be around my tanks and to check them by hand. Things don't change that fast in plant tank. Think more about days then hours. Also plants are pretty hardy and just don't die over night so if you keep and eye on your tank you will usually see the problem before it gets out of hand. The biggest problems will be keeping algae under control.

Best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.