The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my Anubias and java ferns are suffering from too much light. I believe this is the problem because only the leaves that are getting too much light are affected; the shaded leaves look fine, as do new baby leaves.

Is there a way to fix this issue with fertz rather than changing the lighting schedule or moving the plants?

Btw, I'm not worried about any BBA you might see in the pics. If I could only get my nitrates to a detectable level the BBA would go away again!

This is a low-tech tank with a Finnex Planted+ that's on about 7 hours a day. I dose potassium, trace, excel, flourish, & iron.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Not a light toxicity, but most likely a micro-toxicity. I suspect it's an interaction between iron and light. Light can excite chemicals or metals within plant cells which cause it to become toxic. The plant then expends energy to create chemicals that protect itself from the toxicity which ultimately damages its own tissues. So if plant cells contain excess iron and not enough balancing metals or chemicals such as Mn or phosphate, then iron toxicity can occur.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a light toxicity, but most likely a micro-toxicity. I suspect it's an interaction between iron and light. Light can excite chemicals or metals within plant cells which cause it to become toxic. The plant then expends energy to create chemicals that protect itself from the toxicity which ultimately damages its own tissues. So if plant cells contain excess iron and not enough balancing metals or chemicals such as Mn or phosphate, then iron toxicity can occur.
So do you think I should cut back on the iron dosing then? I started using it because my Anubias were turning yellow, and after the iron they've looked greener and healthier. But it could be that I'm adding too much Fe. Or, should I start dosing phosphate?

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Too much of anything causes problems, including iron. Dose once, then wait for improvement. Then continue to wait for the decline. When you see the decline, that's when you know you'll need to dose again. This way, you can calculate the interval between dosing as to not dose more than is needed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE in case anyone else has a similar problem:

I cut down on the iron dosing and my plants started curling and getting yellow edges. I finally was able to figure out that the problem was a phosphorus deficiency. After I resumed iron and added SeaChem phosphorus my plants are looking well again :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts