The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 54 I've got a small school of cardinal tetra's with some amano's and cory. sterbai. I saw at the LFS some really nice silver tipped tetra's that I'd love to add however, some say silver tips are nippy.
I don't want the silver tips nipping the cardinals and picking at the shrimp...thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have silver tips in my tank (12 of them 50/50 male,female) and they spend most of their time chasing each other around and dont bother the ammanos or hengeli rasboras at all. the males are a nice deep orange and the females are a translucent silver/orange.
my advice would be if you get them get at least a dozen it will keep them busy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think silver tips are a little too aggressive and might cause stress to your cardinals! Get some lemon tetras instead! The yellow would be a nice offset to the red and blues of the cardinals and make a lot more peaceful tank mates!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Np! Well look at it like this, your cardinals are well established in your tank and live a nice peaceful life. Why take the chance of messing this up with a species of fish that is known to be aggressive even if it's just a little. Some may have had good experience with the fish while other like myself have had bad experience. So why take the chance and possible risk the well being of the fish you have now.
I think silver tips are beautiful fish especially in a well established healthy tank and with a nice diet their colors shine right out! But I think they are more suited for a community tank with similar disposition species! But because you already have cardinals it's best to choose fish that are as equally peaceful, calm, and happy go lucky!

·
Registered
126 Posts
A lot of the tetras that have nippy reputations (serpae, silvertip, red/blue colombians) usually contain their boisterous behavior to their own group when kept in a large enough school (7+). It seems like every time someone mentions a problem with these fish, they're usually being kept in groups of 3-4.

That being said, lemons are beautiful fish! I would have a hard time choosing between the two.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A lot of the tetras that have nippy reputations (serpae, silvertip, red/blue colombians) usually contain their boisterous behavior to their own group when kept in a large enough school (7+). It seems like every time someone mentions a problem with these fish, they're usually being kept in groups of 3-4.

That being said, lemons are beautiful fish! I would have a hard time choosing between the two.
+1 for the above
like I said that's why I recommended getting a dozen (or more if space permits)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Coltonorr

Also have a look at cherry barbs as well, very peaceful barb not at all aggressive, but again I would recommend a dozen or more to keep them happy

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I always look to nature when thinking about compatibility. Species of fish that naturally live together tend to live together in an Aquarium. If we consider how they live in nature and offer as close to that bio-type as we can.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I've got a school of 40 Silvertips coming in tomorrow along with a whole bunch of other tetras I will let you know how they fare.

As far as Marble Hatchets they are great but to jump for me, even with the tank covered they still find the only little slivers where the tops are cut around my lights to get out. Lost half my school of them, if you were clsoer I would pretty much give the rest to ya.

Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.