The Planted Tank Forum banner

compatibility of GBRs and apistogramma species

2513 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  pandamonium
Hey everyone,

So I was doing research online about how compatible these two species are and I found different results about it. I am keeping a South American themed tank and both of these fish are from the region. I already have some GBRs in my tank but was thinking about getting some apistos as well. Both are cichlids so I was worried about the fighting but many people have had a positive experience keeping both together provided there are hiding spots. My tank is heavily planted with a very large cave on one side and a manzanita branch on the other. You can see it better in my tank journal, which I will update today as well.
So my question is: Can I keep both GBRs and apistos in a 40 breeder?
Also should I try this (or not) just wondering what are some nice looking species of apistos?
Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I kept apistos and GBRs in a 46 gallon with no problems as long as they each had a mate. I think it keeps the aggression equal. The female GBR died and the apistos began harassing the GBR so much I had to get rid of him.
With plenty of cover they will be fine, Agassizii is the most common I think but have a look for Cacatuoides Sp. There are some amazing species/strains of these around.

Also if you do not already have them keep an eye out for the Blue Acara ( Aequidens Pulcher ) or the Keyhole Cichlid ( Cleithracara Maronii ).
As long as you have enough room to house both species( your 40 should be enough) along with enough cover to deter each other's line of sight you should be ok. I have both species and love both of em.
Each Apisto species has a 12" square territory, you can mark out territory's with wood,rocks, plants etc and they will stick to them when paired up.
I kept apistos and GBRs in a 46 gallon with no problems as long as they each had a mate. I think it keeps the aggression equal. The female GBR died and the apistos began harassing the GBR so much I had to get rid of him.
ok right now i dont think i have any GBR males which is an issue i am trying to resolve. i bought them locally bred when they were young.

With plenty of cover they will be fine, Agassizii is the most common I think but have a look for Cacatuoides Sp. There are some amazing species/strains of these around.

Also if you do not already have them keep an eye out for the Blue Acara ( Aequidens Pulcher ) or the Keyhole Cichlid ( Cleithracara Maronii ).
awesome. i would really like to put some more color in this tank. so far i have lemon and cardinal tetras with n. mortenthaleri coming in soon. I'll check out those other species. thanks for the suggestions!

As long as you have enough room to house both species( your 40 should be enough) along with enough cover to deter each other's line of sight you should be ok. I have both species and love both of em.
yep my tank is fairly heavily planted and has a lot of markings to break LOS.

Each Apisto species has a 12" square territory, you can mark out territory's with wood,rocks, plants etc and they will stick to them when paired up.
oh ok awesome then thats good :)
how are apistos in terms of hardiness and ease of care? are they similar in requirements to rams? my tank is at 81 degrees to offer a comparison.
how are apistos in terms of hardiness and ease of care? are they similar in requirements to rams? my tank is at 81 degrees to offer a comparison.
Yeah basically the same 75-80 degrees, Ph ideally between 6.5 - 7.2 depending on where they have been bred etc

Feed them live food more than flake or pellets.
Apistos in my experience seem a little more hardier than rams. My rams are still a little sketchy at times when feeding or even turning on their light. My Apistos are not shy what so ever and love attention. They will swim up to me every time I'm near thinking it's feeding time(greedy lil guys lol). Also my Apistos have spawned for me 4x times and my water is pretty hard, ph is about 7.4+. Both are great fishes but IMO Apistos are a little easier to care for if you're not sure on which is hardier.
Yeah basically the same 75-80 degrees, Ph ideally between 6.5 - 7.2 depending on where they have been bred etc

Feed them live food more than flake or pellets.
My pH is about 6.6-6.8. I buffer my water and CO2 injection from yeast dropped it down a bit more. I have a regulator and a CO2 tank that I won from a RAOK but I need to refill the tank before I look into using it. The live food may be an issue as I don't grow my own and I don't have anywhere to keep it.

Apistos in my experience seem a little more hardier than rams. My rams are still a little sketchy at times when feeding or even turning on their light. My Apistos are not shy what so ever and love attention. They will swim up to me every time I'm near thinking it's feeding time(greedy lil guys lol). Also my Apistos have spawned for me 4x times and my water is pretty hard, ph is about 7.4+. Both are great fishes but IMO Apistos are a little easier to care for if you're not sure on which is hardier.
My rams sometimes do that but most of the time they skirt away when I walk into the room but have gotten used to me otherwise. I think I can handle both. Hopefully they can handle each other hahaha :)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.