The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a heavily planted 40b with 10 amanos 100 or so RCS 4 ottos 10 harlaquin rasboras 10 neon tetras and the following fish that i want to rehome 1 sae 1 platy and 50+ mollies. The mollies are just reproducing too much, but they're my kids favorites because they seem to interact with them. I notice our betta has similar behavior. Would it be possible to have a couple of male bettas in that tank without any problems? Or is a 40b too tall for them.anyways. what other fish are compatible and exibit similar behavior and are not livebearers? I'm not worried about losing the shrimps, they're culls anyways. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Do NOT put multiple bettas in the same tank! Bettas as Siamese fighting fish, they got that name for a reason-they were bred to fight eachother and the aggressive nature is still in their genetics. NEVER put multiple bettas in the same tank, it won't end well.

I'd be wary about using harlequins and neons with dwarf shrimp like rcs, they're likely to have a 'lobster buffet'. You should stick with more nano sized fish that are too small to each shrimp. I have Blue eye gertrudae with my husband's cherries and they are about as big as the shrimp. The blue eye's mouths are too small to each them. I believe there is a thread in the shrimp/invert section about safe fish for dwarf shrimp. Pygmy cory are another small fish options. Also up your oto count to 6, they do better in proepr shoal sizes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This tank has been setup witht the rasboras and neons with thw shrimps with little problems so far. I think being heavily planted helped alot. Thanks for the otto tip I'll pick up a few more this weekend. I'm honestly not worried if the fish eat the shrimp they're culls that i didn't have another tank for. I just want something more interesting than just rasboras and tetras.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you don't care about the shrimp a pair of dwarf cichlids would also be a good choice for an interactive fish. Once they learn you are their source of food they will be at the glass begging for food whenever you are near. Bolivian rams are a really good choice as they typically are like that even at the fish store and are hardy and easy to keep. They will eat the cherry shrimp but will leave the amanos alone. Just if you are going to do that go with them instead of the betta, not together.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm not a betta person but pretty sure you can keep a couple of females together. I had a female in my 29g that kept my molly population in check...

What about a single or pair of angelfish? Mine are so interactive I can't keep them from jacking with me (they are always hungry) while I'm working in the tank. I kept a pair in my old 30 long and they ended up breeding on the filter tube. Never raised any fry but it was neat to watch their behavior. Shrimp would probably be toast though.

Just last night my my son was goofing off walking back and forth across the tank (120g) laughing as the angels followed him every step.

OR

You could always just scoop out most the mollies out every few months and take them in for store credit at the LFS :wink2:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Betta sororities (4-5 or roe females) are tricky. They can be just as mean as males, and faster with their shorter fins. Its a crap shoot if you'd get ones that would get along. Many sororities fail from lack of densely planted tank (i'm talking insanely densely planted), just a plain mean female bullying others to death, or sickness killing one and causing imbalance in their hierarchy which can lead to fighting more over rank and possibly lead to death. All females would have to be bought and advisably quarantined separately (can float in store cups on tank for a few week-do daily water change on cup), then all released into the tank at once to avoid anyone getting to pre-claim territory before others are added-which would lead to more aggression as they'd see new ones as intruders not sisters/friends.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have taken to tiptoeing through the house, because in nearly every room there is at least one tank with fish pretending they haven't been fed since last year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 for the Angels, I love mine! They act like they are starving to death all the time, always come right up to the glass and dance for whoever is watching. They eat bloodworms right out of my fingers! Super fun fish, the kids will love them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Off topic as far as what you are wanting to add at this point.. but I'd also increase the oto group as they do better in higher numbers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.