The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been conditioning my pygmy corys for spawning for a couple weeks and they are all fat and sleek. I had planned to do a cold water change this weekend to induce breeding. If they do spawn, I'll move the eggs from my 55 to my 2.5 gallon fry tank.

Here's the complication: on Tuesday I noticed my black skirt tetras spawning, so I whisked them away to my fry tank, where now I have dozens of free swimming tetra fry.

The questions: Should I postpone my planned cory spawning? Or will the fry be ok together if the tetras are a few days older?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would think they would b fine. Naturally non aggresive fish that like different parts of the water columns. If possible you want to get your fry tank cycling soon as possible. I have learned it to b easier to use breeding nets that you can hang in your tanks. Helps with water changes and they catch small organisms they can feed on.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks knuggs! The fry tank is cycled, and has an aged air-driven sponge filter as well as fine leaved plants- so the fry ought to be able to find infusoria until I start BBS in a week or so. That's worked in the past.

I forgot to mention the 20-30 platy fry in my quarantine tank! Some time soon I'm going to have to talk to the manager at my LFS.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Try doing your WC in the evening. Usually mine are spawning by morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts