The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day I spotted a new box design for the Fluval Spec V with claims for an improved light. I couldn't find anything online about this newer "model", so I figured I would provide everyone with a side by side comparison between the original gen 1 and the gen 2.

The differences between the two
  • Slimmer silver light that doesn't lean as badly.
  • Light has easy-touch button on the top vs the sliding switch on gen 1.
  • Different LEDs, in both configuration and style.
  • The two blue LEDs are much more bright and stay on during daylight mode.
  • Protective rubber coating over light that protects the LEDs and wiring.
  • Filter compartment has black mesh design rather than frosted glass.
  • Filter output tube is black rather than white.
  • Glass has black lining along top edge rather than green, and black silicone rather than white.

Gen 1 VS Gen 2

The boxes

Side by side

Gen 1

Gen 2

Filter Compartment

Glass/Silicone

Lights

Daylight mode

Nighttime mode

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
msjinkzd got one of these for her daughter that she was showing on youtube recently. I remember saying to her that the light seemed quite intense for one of these all in one setups; and she agreed that the update seemed quite strong!

·
Banned
483 Posts
gen 2

msjinkzd got one of these for her daughter that she was showing on youtube recently. I remember saying to her that the light seemed quite intense for one of these all in one setups; and she agreed that the update seemed quite strong!
I have the gen two spec 5. The light is quite bright. My blyxa japonica has turned red and I'm also starting to get some bba. Dialing my lights back from 8 hours to 5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up the gen 2 this past weekend to setup up my first planted nano. I've owned all Spec models and this one has made some very nice mods. Can't wait to setup it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts