The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Everyone,

I've been looking to tune up some parts of my system that I am not so thrilled about and right now I am talking about some very small parts of my co2 setup, the bubble counter and drop checker.

So I have a GLA regulator and the bubble counter evaporates extremely quickly. I think it is because it is too small a volume for how much dry co2 pumps through it. So I typically leave this one dry because it is a pain to remove and I use another one further down down the line. This one also tends to evaporate fairly quickly (not that crazy, maybe every 6 weeks?). So instead of having to take this one off as well, I am looking for a refillable counter that I do not have to unattached from the system, very similar to the glass GLA one, which is waaaay too expensive for what it is. Also, trying to avoid mineral oil or glycerin.

In the same vein of small parts that are crazy expensive but awesome, GLA has some side by side drop checkers that use a solution to mimic 30 ppm dissolved co2. Now I have been regularly checking my pH and kH to dial in my co2 levels but it would be great to have such a nice visual to check in between testing.

I know these are pretty trivial but the GLA parts offer some seemingly nice benefits, so I may end up just pulling the trigger.
BUT if anyone know of some cheaper options for these parts, any info would be great!

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Some depends on what other parts you use but for me, I found the cheaper the better on the bubble counter. I use the Fluval that has both in and out at the top and has a plastic lid that screws to a plastic jar. Not a thing of beauty nor impressive but that's not my thing anyway. I want something that is simple and works. I do not use anything but water in my bubble counters so this little one lets me just unscrew the lid slightly and let tank water run back from the reactor into the jar. When it nears full I screw the lid down again.
But then I also operate in a different way than some. I don't want the whole unit tied together where I tend to break things. I also like to have the parts that I need to reach brought out where I can see and reach them. Since I use a wooden stand that is easy to attach things to, it is a natural to put the needle valve and bubble counter on tubing away from the regulator. This makes it easy to move the reg and solenoid off the CO2 tank and lay it back out of harms way when changing out the tank.

The bubble counter is hanging down out of the picture on tubing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just unscrew the lid slightly and let tank water run back from the reactor into the jar. When it nears full I screw the lid down again.
This is something that probably makes my problem go away, I think I have a one way valve between the reactor and counter for some reason, probably just got a little carried away with them because I had so many. I think ill just remove that and I should be good to go. Thanks for the idea!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts