The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

A while back I posted looking for a ballast for my 48" 4 - 65 watt CF fixture with each having a 4-straight pin connection. After getting a couple helpful links, the ballasts I received did not work in my fixture.

The only available ballasts were for a 2 bulb connection where the ones I need are for a single bulb connection. I had an electrition try and wire these per the diagram on the ballast and nothing happened.

The fixture itself never had a brand name on it so I was unable to contact them directly. The ballast had no name either.

Here are some images of the ballast I need. It is 9"x1 1/2"x 1 1/4"

If you know of someone getting rid of a CF fixture or have a ballast it would help.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
...I posted looking for a ballast for my 48" 4 - 65 watt CF fixture with each having a 4-straight pin connection. ...
The only available ballasts were for a 2 bulb connection where the ones I need are for a single bulb connection. I had an electrition try and wire these per the diagram on the ballast and nothing happened.
I find your post is confusing. You say the ballast is for a "4 - 65 watt fixture". They you say need a "single bulb connection"

Do you mean a single connector that has wires out for four bulbs?
If you're looking for a drop in replacement for the ballast pictured, you are probably not going to find a new unit at a reasonable price. Good luck on finding a used one that will last.

There are lots of ballasts available for two 65 watt power compact lamps, at $20 - $30 each. In my experience with power compact fixtures there has always been room for two ballasts.

Any electrician who can legally call them selves an electrician can rewire a florescent fixture to use off the shelf ballasts. It's just cutting and splicing wires following the wiring diagram on the ballast.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fixture has 4 - single bulb ballasts, sorry for the confusion.

The ballasts that were recommended that I purchased were wired for 2 bulbs. We connected them per the diagrams and the red wire turned out to be hot when it should not have been even after jumping it to the other bulb. Therefore even the company that sold me the ballasts could not figure out why the red was hot as well as the blue wires.

I thought if someone had a fixture with the similar ballasts I might have been able to replace the one bad ballast.

Thank you for your information.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you don't mind re-wiring the connections, you can just get a Fulham Workhorse 7 or 8 ballast. That ballast powers a lot of different types of bulbs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Mach, I will look into that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts