The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and greetings from the Netherlands!

I've been reading on TPT a lot, and now i've finaly decided to start a thread myself.

The reason to start this thread: I'm upgrading!

At the moment we have a 54L (60cm) and a 180L (1 meter) going on. The 54L is housing around 50 CBS/CRS/KK and 1 Female ancistrus (rescued from a ciano panorama 20cm by 40cm aquarium).

The 180L is housing a small group of rummynose's, kardinal tetra's, and albino cory's. Further a large shoal of Celestial Pearl Danio's (CPD's) and 2 male Ancistrus (the reason why the female is not in this tank).

Because the 180L is a bit old and scratched, and it is overstocked, I decided it is time to buy a new tank. Tank's are a bit more expensive over here (€0.50/l - €1.50/l) then they seem to be in the USA, so it was a difficult choice. I decided to go with a 90x90x60 cube (36"x36"x24") out of 12mm (1/2") glass :smile2:.

The tank should be delivered within a few weeks (ordered about 3 weeks ago). I ordered a bare tank without any holes, canopy or stand, so at the moment I'm working on the stand. Later today i will try to upload some pictures, the stand is made out of 44x94mm (2 by 4's) beams, and topped of with 15mm (5/8"?) plywood.

Pictures will come!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oké, so I'm a bit late on my picture update...

Here they are! As said, the whole construction is made out of 2 by 4's, and i've made junctions using "half wood junctions"? I don't know how to call them in english. I used waterproof wood glue in combination with some screws.

I hope the construction will hold, but if you look at our current setup of 180l (44 gallon) on a simple only glue no screw table, it should hold.

sorry for the quality, the pictures are made with my phone...

Oh and the cat joint me in the build! it's a real construction guy, he loves to roll in the saw dust, lay down on the piece of wood i need, and stands directly in front of the saw...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last picture shows the current setup, it's a 100x40x45cm (40x16x18") tank on some sort of home made side table with the legs of the table glued to the surface. To prevent it from bending an extra leg was loosly placed underneath it.

I'm currently running diy CO2, I will need to see how this will develop with the new setup. Filtration is done by an Eheim 2213. The new setup will probably be using the same pump, with its intake behind a corner HMF. Behind the HMF i'm planning on using an eheim compact 1000l to create some extra flow through the filter mat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi there!

Well it has been some time since my last update, and today i got news from the tank builder :)! it will be delivered wednesday next week! excited!

I have "finished" the tank stand, and I'm ready to set it up.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=649825&thumb=1

In order to create a nice hamburg matten filter (HMF) i already ordered some filter foam from Germany, as it doesn't seem to be possible to get black foam any finer than 10 ppi in the Netherlands. As I'm still waiting for the large tank, i already used some to change my blue 30ppi filter in my shrimptank to a 45 ppi black filter which looks a bit better.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=649817&thumb=1

I also set up a test piece where i made cuts in the foam and filled those with Fissidens Fontanus, I'm realy currious how that will turn out!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=649833&thumb=1

shrimps are doing great, when i got them i had 10 CBS, now there are like 50 and a few taibee's (BKK, Red Ruby, Blue Bolt).

The fish in the 180liter (45 gallon) are not doing great, one after the other seems to have strange problems like: swimming verticaly, rotating, or just loosing color and sinking to the bottom. So I'm trying to treat the tank as we speak to fix this. I hope the new tank will come in soon, so that i can reduce the amount of fish to the amount of liters/gallons.

Greetz
Tjeerd'S

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, today i have been working on the transfer to the new tank, i took the biggest pieces of driftwood from the main and shrimp tank. This made me notice how much anubias we have growing on the DW, and how less other plants we have.... I didnt have to put anything in the sand..... This will come with the transfer of the red lotus, but i still need to find some low light carpet plant... Any tips? I like a "coarse" grassy plant, not to create a carpet, just to place around the edges of the dw and stones. I will try to upload a phone picture, but tapatalk seems to quit on me when trying. The water is still murky due to the sand, which was not washed enough...

Bump:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
So, today i have been working on the transfer to the new tank, i took the biggest pieces of driftwood from the main and shrimp tank. but i still need to find some low light carpet plant... Any tips? I like a "coarse" grassy plant, not to create a carpet, just to place around the edges of the dw and stones.

Bump:
I like this: Hydrocotyle tripartita
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zlf9Ml8u0U

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been setting up the tank last week! Partly with new water and party with water from the old tank.

When transferring the DW i noticed that almost all plants are on the DW. So i decided to transfer quit fast :eek:, maybe even faster than it should be, but I'm hoping the water from the old tank will help to cycle the new one.

The lights and hoses are temporary! and just to see what i want. I'm hoping to go with a few led strips (5630 smd cool white (4 meter)) and an Eheim compact 1000 pump. Just have to buy them... There will be no canopy, maybe just a wood strip around the top to take the waterlevel out of sight, and to reduce glare. I have place a plastic canal plate?? 6mm on top of the tank, which fits right between the glass panes and on top of the structural glass rims. The plate is covered with mirror foil to increase the amount of light in the tank and reduce the amount of light coming out of the tank:p

Here are some pictures, i will try to make some better ones tonight, as it has been transformed a lot more than in these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I actually never thought of it, but a cube tank like that on a low stand and pendant lighting, would be awesome for Koi angelfish or other fish that are very distinctly coloured from above. My angel koi juvies are in a low tank, and I enjoy interacting with them through the top of the tank more than the glass. They are like puppies. They start so cute, but we all know what they turn into.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it has been quite a while... I have been busy with.. I don't know what... Tank has had some upgrades in lighting, recently i put in a heater as it was going below 20 degrees Celsius, and i included my girlfriends eheim 2213 for filtration. No big problems so far, window cleaning about once every 2 months, have to do the outside more often due to cousin's. Water changes around 25% every two weeks i guess... Only problem is that the older cory's (7 year) one by one start twisting and die... Anyone got a clue? Only got two of the older cory's left...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few quick update pictures to show how the tank is doing! Bit of BBA once in a while, some fish died, and i have a temporarily breeding thing for CPDs.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.