The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 36 gallon community tank that currently has 2 siamese algae eaters, 6 harlequin rasboras, 6 celestial pearl danios, and a platy. I also have 2 or 3 RCS (I haven't seen one in a while). A few questions: Will any of my fish eat adult RCS? Will they breed and have any survival (I know that most babies will get eaten)? What other shrimp could I keep with them (people have said that amanos and ghosts will bully RCS)?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
All of them would eat any shrimps that can fit in their mouths. So it depends on the size of your fish, especially the SAE.

I keep amano and ghosts with fire reds and they coexist fine. obviously bigger shrimps will try to get more food but nothing harmful. Also you can try CRS if you not afraid of them getting eaten by the fish. They won't interbreed with RCS either and apparently some people say they don't "taste" as good as the neo shrimps to the fish so their survival rate might be higher.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not quite willing to spend 10 dollars a shrimp on something that may get eaten. I might swap the SAE's for otos. I'm not worried about the pearl danios, as they don't get bigger than an inch, in fact, they're about the size of my shrimp, some are smaller. The rasboras also may need to go then. I want this to be a shrimp friendly tank.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Don't buy RCS for $10.00. That's crazy talk. Pack your tank with plants, then go to the SnS and drop that money you were going to spend @ $10.00 per shrimp and buy some PFRs for $1.00 each. 30-50 will do. That'll give you enough numbers to out breed the loss.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Oh, and that's what my LFS is charging for crystal reds.
CRS are crystal red
RCS are red cherry shrimp

Big different in price

PFR are painted fire reds, a very deep solid red version of the red cherry
SnS is the swap and sell section of the site, find someone near you that has some for sale or buy from a breeder that ships overnight, etc and has experience in shipping shrimp.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So even with SAEs and rasboras the shrimp can survive? If I add some moss will that help?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My Amano's are doing fine with Angels, Platy's, Oto's, a Plakat, Serpae Tetra's and neons. I have them in all 5 of my tanks. I also have some RCS in every one of my tanks, however I have a tank dedicated to them that has several hundred so I just drop 10 or so into the other tanks every once in a while. I don't count on them establishing a community in any tank with fish other than Oto's.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen PFR's for $1 ea. Regular fire reds, but not painted. But then, maybe I'm just not patient enough for them to come along.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would like to go with CRS and glass shrimp. Is there really a chance that in a well planted tank these two could create a population that breeds enough to survive?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, and, for the record, about a week and a half ago, a platy I bought turned out to be pregnant and had fry in my tank, a number of which are surviving in my tank. That makes me think that baby shrimp may be able to survive as well in smaller numbers.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
I would like to go with CRS and glass shrimp. Is there really a chance that in a well planted tank these two could create a population that breeds enough to survive?

You never know until you try. I would think with enough plants and hiding spots and good water quality you could get your CRS to breed.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've had a single orange bee shrimp living happily in my bigger tank with my angels and rainbows for the past 6 months. I was thinking about putting bamboo shrimp in there...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bamboos would probably be fine. They're much bigger. I'm away for the weekend and when I get back, if the shrimp I have have survived, I'll try stocking about 10 CRS and see if they survive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts