The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I had inherited an established planted tank (mostly vals) with a large variety of occupants. Tetras, hilstream loaches, clown loaches, brushy nose plecos, barbs, etc...

Amongst them were cherry shrimp. I had this setup for atleast a year or two, and noticed the cherry shrimp population slowly increasing. Granted a substantial amount of them were consumed as food. But I did notice juveniles emerging eventually, and if they made it to a certain size before being eaten they made the cut to be an addition to the tank.

Most shrimp are not purchased as adults, and even then would still need to be introduced with caution so as to not be food. However this peaks my interest. My curiosity stems from wanting to know how many keep shrimp as a constant food supply, and simultaneously a tank inhabitant as a natural cycle?

I want to potentially keep shrimp this way again, but wanted to start this thread to see if this is something others are doing and potentially get some insight.

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
To be a constant food source? That's generally not possible because of the nature of shrimp reproduction in our tanks and the nature of most fish that eat shrimp.

People do keep shrimp with fish, however, and that's something you could see in the Tank Journals section or via search. Most, however, keep shrimp separate from fish for obvious reasons.

Those who keep shrimp with fish usually don't keep anything fancy and do so knowing that whatever shrimp they have in the tank may not survive for long.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts