The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told and have read that some special of puffers do well in a community tank. But, when I read about the different species of puffers none appear to play nice with others.

Does anyone know if there is a puffer that lives well in a freshwater community tank?

Our tank has the following:
Dwarf bristlenose plecos (that breed very well and are our favorite fish in the tank).
Corey catfish (these 2 lay eggs but we only get babies occasionally b/c someone eats the eggs)
Platty (we have a few of very old platty that I'm considering moving to a different tank)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Only puffers that would leave other fish alone are pea puffers, the flip side to that is other fish will out compete pea puffers very easily so they are pest kept in single species tanks. I would advise against keeping freshwater puffers unless you are devoting tanks to them, not trying to make them a community fish. I will also add that green spotted puffers and figure 8 puffers are NOT meant to spend their lives in freshwater so please avoid these if you decide to keep looking at puffers (besides they do not play well with hardly any other species).

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
There are a few mid size (~3") puffers like amazon puffers, but they're majority incompatible with most fish.

Most puffers need a tank designed around them if you're not going to do a species tank, kinda like seahorses. For example, anchor cats (hara), and fast top dwelling fish like danios would do well with pea puffers. However you'd need to pay special care that every fish was getting fed.

I don't think that your tank would do well with a puffer. Platy would outcompete it for food. It would nip on dwarf BNP and cory cats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.