• Hikari

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • New Life Spectrum

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Not sure about 'community food' but for BETTA food, Hikari has a lot of fillers in their betta pellets. New life Spectrum and Omega one betta pellets are better-the most recommended pellet brands for betta owners as its high quality low filler. I will say I only use Hikari for FROZEN foods as they do extra procedures to sanitize meats before freezing to reduce issues of parasites and such.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like new life spectrum, they make a good product. I do use hikari or omega one for frozen foods. Im a purist of types, I believe my fish should not be eating things like corn meal or wheat. I read all labels and reject foods that contain alot of fillers or ethoxyqyin. It is a preservative used in many "cheap" fish foods even though it toxic to fish. All tetramin foods contain it as do wardley and many others (only found one brand of algae pellets at the big box pet stores that didnt contain it yesterday which was aqueon)You can google ethoxyquin and it even states on wikipedia that its toxic to fish.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have researched fish food ingredients and nutrition quite heavily. If you are well knowledgeable on the subject, you would know Hikari is no where near the quality of New Life Spectrum foods, doesn't matter if they have a fancy bag, design or "premium" price tag. The only decent food Hikari has is their Bio-Gold series, the rest are pretty much on par with the cheapest low quality food brands. New Life Spectrum line of foods are pretty much the highest quality on the market.

No, I don't have any affiliation with ANY company, just pointing out the facts. If you research enough, you would come to the same conclusion. Sorry, if I am coming off as harsh, I don't mean to be :p

Oscarfish has a great write up that does a general/basic break down on how to judge foods. Definitely recommend anyone to have a read through to get a better understanding
Fish Food Reviews

·
Registered
625 Posts
I use NLS exclusively and my fish have never looked better. When I say exclusively I mean it to, no treats or supplements. NLS does use ethoxyuin to stop the fat from going rancid that is believed toxic to pets but its concentration is said to be safe at the level used by the manufacturer. I was feeding frozen preparations before NLS and will never go back to that mess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.