The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'ello all! I am running into a ridiculous number of problems breeding my fish...even my swamp guppies (they've given birth several times in the past, but I have not seen any new fry in many months). What are some common problems you encounter when trying to breed fish? A list of stupid mistakes the fish breeder can make could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

·
Registered
987 Posts
My current breeding problem is not enough time/house and too frisky and prolific a pair of angels. I happened to glance in the hex earlier today to discover that they got busy while I was out today. Since I just put the female back in after a) removing the demon spawn (daddy likes being confined in a small space with the little monsters about as well as I do) and b) scaring the bejesus out of the dad in the process last... Thursday I think, this was a bit of a surprise but not really as she was ready and he likes her well enough not to have performance anxiety (plus the hex affords hiding spaces for added reassurance).

I'm just...aware...that I have 4 weeks during which I need to finish a stand, move prospects into the display to grow out, take non-keepers in for trade, and errr...hopefully get the last batch large enough to start sorting and disbursing.

This particular male though is neurotic. when he initially paired off, there was another pair in the tank, and they were at it every other week. He didn't have a great selection of females either so went with the best of what was left. When I gave him and her a tank to themselves, he proceeded to spaz out and try clawing his way through the back glass every time anyone went by. So, I put them back in the main tank (after removing the other pair) and he went into a sulk because he "preferred" this young veil female and the female he'd spawned with before wouldn't let him pursue her. He's with the veil - he absolutely refused to have anything to do with the other female and actually got aggressive with her. I wasn't sure how he'd take the hex after the bad reaction to the more acceptable nearly nekkid 20, but he's ok with it. It seems smaller but I guess the large chunk of wood in the middle allows him to hide so makes him feel safe.

I don't think my guppies have reproduced since I brought them in. I also find them semi-frustrating. Pet store guppies always die on me, often overnight. However, if they drop before they expire, I can raise the fry, which is where my small colony comes from - I attempted to stock my water garden 3 years ago. All the purchased stock died, but at least 2 gave birth first. Now if I could figure out why those initial 8 survivors got huge and reproduced like crazy during what - a 3 month period?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
because in nature fish are born in the beginning of spring, by summer they have to be reproductively active to get another brood in before autumn starts... Sure they may breed through the rest of the year, but I would venture the fry born in the hot period have a greater survival rate due to extra plankton and flying bugs etc... as well as increased metabolism from heat.

If you want to breed livebearers, keep a birth tank, bare bottom, with plastic breeding grass carpet. also a few large rocks with tiny gaps they can get under are useful as they spend the first short while after birth on the floor.
Then they will want to reach the surface to fill their swim bladders, so you also need cover at the top.... floating plants, or these plastic floating plant balls made to hide fry. Stuff that are easy to pull from the tank, while you chase fry with a net.

No strong power heads or filters that can suck in fry.. or cover with foam.

·
Registered
987 Posts
No. Only ever had kilis once - got one of those Edmund Scientific hatching kits. Interesting but I never pursued it. Have had egg scatterers do their thing a few times but never tried to set up a tank TO breed them (they were zebra danios, and I think I got them 5 for a buck. Why would I bother other than to see if I could?)

It would be interesting to try it with the Congos if I didn't have the sneaking suspicion that conditions that make them that happy probably would make it difficult to collect the eggs or remove the parents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.